Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please post pics ( And off road impressions if you have bonafide "single track" or XC racing experience.)

I can't ride my racing bikes (Husabergs and KTM's) to the riding ranches (Texas)..

I always assumed the bike would be a good "dual sport" (given its' "weightiness") if equipped with the right tires.. But this info is still not available, so I'm asking "us", in here..

·
Bronze member
2,189 Posts
Why can’t you ride your racing bikes? That euro trash can have street legal plates. My 300xc does.

The ftr has ZERO protection available for it. If you’re riding it hard off-road you have money to burn. I took mine on a few fire roads. Never again. The suspension isn’t set up for it. Nor is the frame. The ftr is a street bike that thinks it can ride on something gravel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I cannot "plate" my racing bikes - at least here in Tx.

"Zero protection" is one of the "issues" I am asking about - is anyone solving that "problem" - if it really IS a problem..
I got to the point, many decades ago, whereby I don't drop bikes, while offroading, due to errors in judgement and analysis, of the line I've chosen.. I.E. - I choose whether I take a trail or a particular line that presents a high probability of a layover/drop..

The suspension looks to be quite "able" - for an experienced offroader - to do the duty.. It's all about respect for its' operational capabilities and staying within them. ( Only picking lines and/or speeds that the suspension can "support", etc, etc...)

Frame ?

I've "done" 420 lb dual sport bikes in my past - didn't like the limitations - but now days I don't race anymore, ride more leisurely, and wonder about the FTR's "chops" when set up for dual sporting with an experienced pilot..

·
Bronze member
2,189 Posts
Any bike can be plated with the proper paperwork and a simple battery operated lighting system from sicass.

And no, no one has made protection other than a dinky frame slider and a little oil filter cover. Even the “rally” edition doesn’t have protection.

And no, the suspension travel is not suited for off-road. It’s street suspension. Also There is minimal ground clearance with the headers.

If you want to dual sport there are FAR better and cheaper options than the ftr.

It also drains its tank in 100 miles

The ftr marketing sucks. It’s a street bike, if they would market it as such they might sell more

·
Bronze member
2,189 Posts
D8858F23-2CA3-44A9-B68D-5AE21E8F8B6C.jpg

I mean you can take any bike off-road. But this is like using a hatchet when you could have a scalpel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts