Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I'm looking to see if there's any problem on the new Indian FTR1200S problems.
Anyone encounter electrical or mechanical issues?

I'd like to have this thread open for all future FTR owner that have problem and solution.
I'm about to purchase one :)

Ride safely!

·
Silver member
4,798 Posts
There’s been a few cases of excessive vibrations, and the stock fueling isn’t perfect. Oh and one or two bad gear positioning sensors.

Apart from that most are problem free.

·
Silver member
4,798 Posts
The stock fuel/ignition map in the ecu.

It stalls while warmin up from a cold engine, surges around 4krpm, and has a quirky on/off throttle reaction.

Easily fixed but requires the purchase of Dynojet PV-3...

·
Registered
153 Posts
what's a stock fueling?
Both my and my wife's bike stock fueling was generally fine. OEM fueling small issues: On cold start, occasionally I heard a hiccup or two until warm or a hiccup and stops running. After restart ok. Didn't happen every time. Once at operating temperature, both bikes ran fine except for the occasional throttle burp on downshift. That happened mostly from 3rd to 2nd when it happened. Not consistent. Flash eliminated both of these two issues but that's $380. So basically $200 per issue per bike. On-off throttle control is very good (not abrupt) which can't be said for many bikes being sold now. European or Japanese.

Maybe I'm a glass is half full guy, but I really think that the fueling is overall ok and one can ride very happily with the way the bike is delivered. No glaring consistent problems. Just very mildly annoying. Not really necessary to spend $s on the fueling toys. It's fun to do but gains are marginal. I wouldn't do it a second time with this bike.

Others have different experiences with OEM fueling and results after PV-3 flash.

No mechanical or electrical issues.

·
Bronze member
1,129 Posts
Local dealer won’t let anyone test ride the shop unit until they find a way to make it idle without stalling.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Local dealer won’t let anyone test ride the shop unit until they find a way to make it idle without stalling.
If that dealer in North County Indian in San Marcos, I believe it. I rode their demo back in June. It was horrendous. Had to hold the throttle open to keep it running. Stalled three times on me at traffic lights. Extremely narrow clutch engagement zone. Front brake had terrible modulation. And they tried to convince me it's ok and normal. Totally put us off the bike until we went to another dealer a month later and their demo worked just fine which resulted in a sale.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Put me down for crappy OEM fuel map, which I have since fixed with Fuel Moto mapping.

Gear position sensor has been wonky since the 1st day I rode the bike off the lot.

Need to call them to see if part came in ,yet.

·
Registered
829 Posts
If that dealer in North County Indian in San Marcos, I believe it. I rode their demo back in June. It was horrendous. Had to hold the throttle open to keep it running. Stalled three times on me at traffic lights. Extremely narrow clutch engagement zone. Front brake had terrible modulation. And they tried to convince me it's ok and normal. Totally put us off the bike until we went to another dealer a month later and their demo worked just fine which resulted in a sale.
Go to Indian of Orange County...... their bikes are running fine

·
Bronze member
1,761 Posts
I rode three bikes. Oem fueling is shit.

I people who think it’s not that bad. Haven’t been in a properly tuned fuel injected bike.

As almost all new model oem tuned fuel injected bikes suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Within a few hours of leaving dealership, the touch screen started glitching. To be fair it was at almost 200 miles when I bought it. It has blue distortion lines across the screen. A few days later and now I am unable to have the white background on the screen. The service dept said he had heard of this being an issue a few other times

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
4,798 Posts
Within a few hours of leaving dealership, the touch screen started glitching. To be fair it was at almost 200 miles when I bought it. It has blue distortion lines across the screen. A few days later and now I am unable to have the white background on the screen. The service dept said he had heard of this being an issue a few other times

Assuming they already ordered a new one for you?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Aside from fueling issues I think the only thing I had majorly wrong was the touch screen completely froze up and wouldn't turn off with the bike 2 days after bringing it home. Undoing the wiring harness on the back of it and replugging it in fixed that though and haven't had that happen since.

I've noticed the gear indicator will stay blank sometimes when shifting but it only stays that way for a few seconds. Only seen that happen twice now. Neutral indicator got locked up one time. ABS suddenly turned off a few days ago during a ride. Seems like the RideCommand for the FTR is a bit buggy and causes issues sometimes. I'm sure a firmware update will fix most of that stuff. Most of the issues I've seen are pretty easily fixable and are just mild annoyances at best. Still a great bike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine has the idle issue as well. Dies multiple times till warmup and bogs horribly till it hits 150*. Once warmed up it runs flawlessly. I told the owner of the dealership and he was supposed to get with the Local Indian rep about it.

Dealer also told me he had to replace the dash on a replica because the display froze. They took one off an S they had in shop and it worked like new.

·
Bronze member
1,129 Posts
Chrysler did this years back, they released prior to working out the bugs and it cost the consumer and almost ruined Chrysler. That delay in releasing the FTR has to be related to the current issue. Going to the aftermarket to actually get it to run is a crime because you’re letting Indian off the hook twice. They didn’t have to deliver the product as stated and if you have a catastrophic failure good luck on a warranty claim.
Wise up if it doesn’t run properly stock than it’s going to be unsafe to ride. Drop it off at the dealer explain they must fix it or face legal action for selling defective products, knowingly.

Why avoid the consumer rights that were put in place to protect you from this very type of experience?

·
Read Only
636 Posts
Fortunately, I have yet to experience any of the ride-ability or performance issues with my FTR 1200S that other owners are addressing with the OEM ECM mapping. Let's hear from any forum members that are 'happy' with their FTR 1200.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fortunately, I have yet to experience any of the ride-ability or performance issues with my FTR 1200S that other owners are addressing with the OEM ECM mapping. Let's hear from any forum members that are 'happy' with their FTR 1200.
Even with the issue I have, I love my bike. Would absolutely recommend it to anyone. Even with the one issue im having I would still buy it again!

1 - 20 of 146 Posts