Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adjusted the chain today... No biggie, that E-clip is a bugga to get off, anyway I always put some electrical tape on screw driver to try and protect the surfaces... The last time I took it off,
I think... I know that I'd damaged the thread. Any way I have a spare axle nut so I tried to tread it on.... No go! The material that the axle is made from is so soft. I've ordered a M24x1.5 die hopefully it'll sort it out,
Question how is the axle fitted to the chain side adjuster? Treaded? Shrunk on? Talk to me.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
It's just slid through like a giant Bolt.

What did that die cost? Can't be cheap..
There is a way to fix errant threads with a lowly file. the bigger diameter the object, the easier to do

Also as I'm sure you just found out, you can loosen nut enough to adjust chain with out removing clip.
At least, I can on mine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just slid through like a giant Bolt.

What did that die cost? Can't be cheap..
There is a way to fix errant threads with a lowly file. the bigger diameter the object, the easier to do

Also as I'm sure you just found out, you can loosen nut enough to adjust chain with out removing clip.
At least, I can on mine.
The first time I adjusted the chain I left the clip on a loosened the nut I hurt the powder coat.... Hammerite paint is my friend.
The die was £15.
So the axle the threaded in on the other side?

·
Rider
1,195 Posts
The first time I adjusted the chain I left the clip on a loosened the nut I hurt the powder coat.... Hammerite paint is my friend.
The die was £15.
So the axle the threaded in on the other side?
No, the axle slides in from the left side of the swing arm, and has the block with the chain adjuster marks that appears to slide over the end of the axle. The right side has the threads, and adjuster block is also a separate piece. Make sure you support the wheel when removing the axle

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ferraiolo1, you have had the axle out to powder coat your wheels... Did you notice how the left side axle block is attached to the axle?

·
Bronze member
2,038 Posts
Sorry, I didn’t notice. I assume the other side is just threaded on like a lot of other bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, I didn’t notice. I assume the other side is just threaded on like a lot of other bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Confirmed.... Thank you... Mine moved independently to the axle block.... So that's a common construction?

·
Silver member
5,276 Posts
I’ve seen these cut up dirty threads. Suzuki DR owners changed these back to castle nuts and a cotter pin through the axle...

I never had one axle nut come loose in 30 years, and personally think the C-clip is a solution to a near-nonexistent problem.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I never had one axle nut come loose in 30 years, and personally think the C-clip is a solution to a near-nonexistent problem.

I agree, I don't see any reason to have the c-clip since it doesn't keep the nut from loosening and I'm tired of people asking me what it is. I think the axle could be a few mm shorter without it. Not a lot less mass but extra threads always annoy me, like dinged up spanner nuts on shocks :)

If you have damaged threads, this will help:
Metric Thread file

I have them in SAE and Metric sizes and have cleaned up quite a few threads over the years.

As a side story, I was behind a buddy who was on a YZ426 one time. He hit a big double and got spit off and broke his lower leg. The root cause was that he forgot to tighten the jamb nuts on the axle adjustment screws. The adjuster turned in enough that the axle cocked and the knobs stopped the rear wheel on the face.

The axle nut wasn't the cause, but it has stuck in mind, when I adjust the chain on a motocross bike I triple check the jamb nuts!

·
Rider
1,161 Posts
Wayne, I don’t want to be a killjoy but from Rikosinitie’s link he kindly posted above which leads you to C Dolan’s Flexloc nut solution it appears you may have ordered the wrong die? He reckons the thread pitch is in fact M24 X 2.0 NOT 1.5. This may explain why your spare axle nut doesn’t fit either? Just saying! Wouldn’t want you to f**k it up any more than you have already. A little more research digging required perhaps?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts