Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dudes, Got my bike last September. Only got just over 300 miles, don't beat on me too much, I work 6 days a week and I have had some heath issues to sort out! Anyway (not had 1st service yet) I looked at the diagnostic feature and found my oil life says over due and is lit up in red. Oil level is good, oil colour is good. Is it a time thing built into the ecu or is there a sensor that detects bad oil... Doubt it but? After all I can reset it and I'm sure it'll read good oil life again. Anyone else seen this on there bikes? Cheers

·
Registered
354 Posts
I did my first oil change at 530
mi and didn’t reset the indicator and it did the same thing so it’s not quality.Must be a mileage or calender time thing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Might want to contact Indian. Warranty might be impacted.
Other consideration would be oil turning bad.
Nasty Algae/bugs grew in my diesel fuel, clogged up my fuel system.

·
Rider
1,273 Posts
It appears the computer thinks the oil has not been changed within 12 calendar months. What is the build date if your bike? While I would contact the dealership, if it were me ( and I'm a worrier) I would ride until 500 miles, oil change and reset the timer, and then be happy.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might want to contact Indian. Warranty might be impacted.
Other consideration would be oil turning bad.
Nasty Algae/bugs grew in my diesel fuel, clogged up my fuel system.
Oil looks great in the window, no condensation.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It appears the computer thinks the oil has not been changed within 12 calendar months. What is the build date if your bike? While I would contact the dealership, if it were me ( and I'm a worrier) I would ride until 500 miles, oil change and reset the timer, and then be happy.
Cheers fella, where would I find out the build date?

·
Rider
1,273 Posts
Cheers fella, where would I find out the build date?
I have it my mind the vehicle info, including VIN, is in the Ride Command. I will look in the factory manual when I get back from the gym.

·
Rider
1,273 Posts
Thank you, when I do a vin search it just tells me the year of the bike and purchase date.
Okay, here it is: look on the left side steering head and you should see a sticker with vehicle info. Upper right hand corner of the sticker has the month and year it was made. Best of luck.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, here it is: look on the left side steering head and you should see a sticker with vehicle info. Upper right hand corner of the sticker has the month and year it was made. Best of luck.
Thanks mate, I'll check it out tomorrow morning as well as calling my dealer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Curiosity got the better of me, got in the car and went to my garage... Date of MFR 06/2019

·
Rider
1,273 Posts
Yeah, what ever the mix up is I reckon its a time thing, not an oil in bad shape thing... If that makes sense.
I agree, but I would still call your dealership, that's what warranties are for. Just my 0.002ppm.

·
Bronze member
2,190 Posts
You can reset that monitor without the dealer knowing.

It will not impact your warranty.

I personally would jusy change the oil, since it’s old, and break in miles. And enjoy the next 5k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can reset that monitor without the dealer knowing.

It will not impact your warranty.

I personally would jusy change the oil, since it’s old, and break in miles. And enjoy the next 5k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers bud.

·
Rider
1,273 Posts
A break in period of 500 miles is what the book calls for, not 300 miles. Interesting question whether there is a difference in overall longevity.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts