Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last two new from the ground up bikes from Indian have been the FTR 1200 and the Challenge. I’m sure there will be models building off of these platforms in the near future, but what new from the ground up offerings do you guys want to see or maybe expect? Will all new models be watercooled or even maybe an electric bike thrown in? I’ve been following electrostatic motors and using a rear hub design could be the innovation that could put e-motorcycles really on the map for their intended segment being daily commuter transportation. But that’s just a small segment. What jaw dropping bikes are in Indian’s future?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Victory had an electric motorcycle in 2015 and 2016. IIRC it was called the Impulse. I had a chance to buy one new for $9k when Polaris announced Victory was being ended as a brand. I own and drive one hybrid electric vehicle so I was curious but... The problem with electric motorcycles is you can't market the Freedom image... not even in our present era of semi-widespread charging stations. I love my 2013 Chevy Volt electric vehicles make far less economic sense at $2/gallon gas (although the other benefits of battery powered vehicles are still highly valuable). I doubt Polaris will go down the electric road again.

Polaris needs to go down the road of 125-150cc FTR mini-bikes (aka Honda Grom/Monkey/SuperCub). They won't make any money on it but you have to build the next generation of riders if you are going to own a continuously operating motorcycle company. Honda understands this better than any other company. If Polaris doesn't go down this road, Indian has a good chance of disappearing about the same time HD goes into bankruptcy for the last time (assuming it will have several bankruptcies before the final end). You cannot run a manufacturing company with a buyer demographic that is increasingly above the age of 50 and dying off. Every business has to work at cultivating new customers and expend some profit dollars to do so. If they don't do this - how many bikes is Indian going to sell in the year 2030, 2035, and 2040? Basically, they either go down the path of small bikes now or they have to start planning to end Indian production 10-20 years from now. There simply won't be enough motorcycle riders in the US to sustain production. International sales could possibly string things out for a few years as it has done for HD.

·
Bronze Member
1,686 Posts

·
Silver member
5,438 Posts
There’s still two models on the same platform as the FTR in the pipeline, was it? A street model and an Adventure model...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts