Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I put on my S&S slip on I have been riding my FTR quite a bit as I had a hospital appointment today and knew that I'd be off the bike for a couple of weeks..... Any way, I have noticed that 1st to 2nd gear is a lil clunky.... Cold it's like butter, but when at operating temp I get the clunk.... All other gears are lovely.... Do your bikes do this, I've noticed a few bikes on YouTube that do the same thing? I reckon it's a louder shift because it has to go though neutral... What say you?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Can't say I've ever noticed anything out of the ordinary going 1st to 2nd, neutral into first there's always a 'clunk' but something every bike I've ever owned has done.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, not concerned about neutral to 1st.... And 1st to 2nd ain't a horrible bad noise just more audible than the rest of the gears.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have only 1300 mi on mine and have noticed the 1-2 shift gets harder as it gets hotter,sometimes making a clean upshift tough.
Cheers dude.... I'm gonna see if my clutch lever is in spec adjustment wise.... I know what you mean though I've tried all rpms to find a sweet spot. All other gear changes are butter!

·
Rider
1,273 Posts
I get the easy shift into first when cold, clunks when warmed up. My sense is these beasts make a lot of engine noise, and variations occur. Sounds like it's just the way yours is.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Haven't noticed a clunk from 1>2, but 2>1 and N>1 has always given a huge clunk. If I downshift to 1 while still rolling, the noise is softer, bt still there.

Reactions: WayneFTR

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven't noticed a clunk from 1>2, but 2>1 and N>1 has always given a huge clunk. If I downshift to 1 while still rolling, the noise is softer, bt still there.
Neutral to 1st clunk is so normal.... You say your 1st to 2nd clunks too?.
Cheers bud.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Adjusted mine a lil today... Might be the plasebo effect but 2nd gear shift feels so much better.
I still believe 2nd gear shifts on most bikes are louder just because it has to go through 2nd.

·
Rider
1,273 Posts
Went out today, and yes it clunks more going from first to second than other gears. Still bothers me less than the noisy tyres...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Good review from a fellow English man, With plenty of 2nd gear clunkin. Nature of our beasts! 😂

1 - 20 of 29 Posts