Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard back from the tech who did a collision inspection on my back. (In a previous thread I mentioned that I was rear ended at a stoplight. Traffic was moving slow in a single lane and then sped up shortly then right back to a red light. Anyway, didn't look at traffic behind when I had stopped and all the sudden heard brakes lock up. Ford focus hit me probably 20mph and threw the bike to the ground. I was fine luckily)

Anyway, driver admitted at fault so their Geico is taking care of this. Frame was damaged in the steering stem/lower clamp area. Even the shock was supposedly damaged from the exhaust slamming the ground.

So, my question is anyone ever dealt with insurance totalling out a 4 month old bike? Any advice appreciated. I assume document my aftermarket/accessory add ons, total costs of what I paid originally.. thanks. Just looking for some general advice ??

·
Registered
780 Posts
ouch - not good to hear.
were your aftermarket parts listed on the insurance? if not, they probably won't cover the cost of them.
best case they might give you the total cost of a new bike, and with the sales on you can get one cheaper & use the spare cash for aftermarket parts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im actually not worried about the additional accessories. Not that much $ in the grand scheme of things but of course I'll show receipts for them. Regardless, I'm super happy with this bike so I will definitely be getting another ftr and not considering anything else.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don’t think that even matters if the other party is at fault...
insurance companies will look for whatever reason they can find to not pay you $0.01 more than they have to.
they will replace the cost of the base bike, not any accessories unless they were listed and the cost of these added to the total insured value.
it's about the value not who was at fault.

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
insurance companies will look for whatever reason they can find to not pay you $0.01 more than they have to.
they will replace the cost of the base bike, not any accessories unless they were listed and the cost of these added to the total insured value.
The driver at fault’s insurance company is paying, not the OPs, so the accessories would be covered.

·
Registered
780 Posts
no worries. I know insurance companies here would do everything to get out of it even if you're not at fault.

I had someone rear end me (in my car) and I got 3 quotes for repairs on the car, and the other driver's insurance company insisted on getting a 4th which was WAY lower than the 3 I got and paid me what the 4th came up with and I had no recourse to debate it. They made an assessment and that's all they were going to pay.

Anyway I hope that you get the right $$ for it and are back on 2 wheels soon!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Interesting - I carry $10k in accessories coverage that I've always put on my bikes (additional cost is only like $10 a month). Had a 2016 Harley-Davidson Low Rider S that was totaled and I gave insurance the receipts to parts that were damaged and got a check to cover those parts without any issues. They even covered the cost of my gear (cell phone, wallet, jeans, shirt, jacket, wedding ring, etc). We surpassed the coverage limit of the responsible parties insurance and ended up maxing out our policy as well ($50k for me, $50k for the wife... and they paid the totalled bike off, plus the value of all my accessories). Hospital bills were over $10k for each of us which we had to pay out of what the insurance gave us. Guess insurance companies work differently over there than they do here in the states.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Makes me want to sell my bike and get off the streets :(

·
Registered
780 Posts
Interesting - I carry $10k in accessories coverage that I've always put on my bikes (additional cost is only like $10 a month).
as I said mate - it's actually not different if you have accessories listed it's not an issue. e.g. my motorcycle insurance covers me for $2k worth of gear (helmet/jacket etc) and on the insurance for my Hornet I have the cost of the aftermarket accessories listed so they are covered too
people were saying that the insurance will cover it if you DON'T have them listed, which is different to here. if i insure my bike for only the cost of the bike and nothing else, then even if I'm in an accident that's not my fault the only thing the insurance will cover is the cost of the bike, unless of course I also have gear and accessories on my insurance. the other company needs to cover what you would normally be covered for.

Hospital bills were over $10k for each of us which we had to pay out of what the insurance gave us.
that's the difference here - no-one would have to pay hospital bills.
Most of it would be covered under the public health system, anything additional under the other driver's compulsory third party insurance.

anyway getting away from the OP again - I'm glad he's ok and hopefully back on 2 wheels soon

·
Rider
1,339 Posts
One slight benefit perhaps is now that there are a few second hand ones and new ones on the market at discount you may well come out on top perhaps? Good hunting and glad you're ok.

Am so glad we have a National Health Service too. Whenever I was on TDY in the USA we carried a card that stated we were servicemen and the Washington Embassy would pay any medical bills incurred.

·
Bronze member
2,247 Posts
Here in the states. If you can show you had accessories by ether documents or pics of your bike. They will be covered up to a point if you have full coverage.

I carry 5k extra over the already included 2k in my plan.

I’d let them total the bike if it were me. Chances are you will get more out of it than you would have been able to do selling it right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here in the states. If you can show you had accessories by ether documents or pics of your bike. They will be covered up to a point if you have full coverage.

I carry 5k extra over the already included 2k in my plan.

I’d let them total the bike if it were me. Chances are you will get more out of it than you would have been able to do selling it right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100% correct, I agree on letting insurrance total it out and pay it off. Browse around and pick up a new one... probably save a little $$$ over what you paid just 4 months ago.

·
Founding member
1,021 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss, Man. Thank goodness you are okay. That is my biggest riding fear. I have flashing lights on the rear of my RM but many drivers are looking down at every opportunity. :( I am really interested in an FTR and will now make sure I light it up if I get one. I got rear ended at speed 12 years ago and the bike was totaled. I came out well financially but the bike was 7 years old with 100,000 miles on it. I hope you are treated well. Best of luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts