Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

261 - 265 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
After delving into the science project of motorcycle tires (sheesh), I came back to my fellow forum'ers here and decided upon the Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs in the stock sizes 150/70 R18 and 120/70 R19. At first I was hesitant simply due to the name - I don't ride trails. But looking at them convinced me they weren't knobby trail things like I envisioned. Also, I wanted to match apples to apples, that is I wanted to run the same size as my original DTR3s. And, they seemed like good tires.

Opinions:
IMO the bike feels like it's a lot lighter. Whereas the original DTR tires required some effort in counter steering, these babies seem to want to lean over. Think about leaning and they lean (so it seems). They turn quicker making the bike more nimble. They also seem to ride less harshly (softer) over the bumps I have in the roads around here. I think they're a big improvement over the DTR3's. And, maybe it's just my imagination, but I seem a wee bit lower to the ground on these tires.

And, although I haven't done much yet, they seem to be easier to turn even when pushing the bike around, which I have to do sometimes, and on more than one occasion I've dropped the d__n thing (tears). I think/hope it may be less prone to dropping in these situations (please don't rag on me on how not to drop my bike).

Less than 100 miles on them, but I know I won't be going back to the old tires.

ps: I really wanted Michelins that would last a lot longer. Alas, there seem to be no fit for this bike. I resign myself to buying tires more frequently than I ever thought I would have to. Sigh.

·
Rider
1,311 Posts
After delving into the science project of motorcycle tires (sheesh), I came back to my fellow forum'ers here and decided upon the Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs in the stock sizes 150/70 R18 and 120/70 R19. At first I was hesitant simply due to the name - I don't ride trails. But looking at them convinced me they weren't knobby trail things like I envisioned. Also, I wanted to match apples to apples, that is I wanted to run the same size as my original DTR3s. And, they seemed like good tires.

Opinions:
IMO the bike feels like it's a lot lighter. Whereas the original DTR tires required some effort in counter steering, these babies seem to want to lean over. Think about leaning and they lean (so it seems). They turn quicker making the bike more nimble. They also seem to ride less harshly (softer) over the bumps I have in the roads around here. I think they're a big improvement over the DTR3's. And, maybe it's just my imagination, but I seem a wee bit lower to the ground on these tires.

And, although I haven't done much yet, they seem to be easier to turn even when pushing the bike around, which I have to do sometimes, and on more than one occasion I've dropped the d__n thing (tears). I think/hope it may be less prone to dropping in these situations (please don't rag on me on how not to drop my bike).

Less than 100 miles on them, but I know I won't be going back to the old tires.

ps: I really wanted Michelins that would last a lot longer. Alas, there seem to be no fit for this bike. I resign myself to buying tire more frequently than I ever thought I would have to. Sigh.
I think you will be quite satisfied with the Pirellis.

·
Rider
1,311 Posts
Lots of forum members have gone to different profile tires, each reporting good results. Rx: many choices, hard to go wrong by ditching the stock ones.

261 - 265 of 265 Posts