Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

241 - 260 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
479 Posts
FWIW, I'm at the AFT races in Daytona and Dunlop is pushing their street legal flat track tire, the K180. I'm not up to snuff on tires so I'm not sure if the DT3-R was rebranded or if this has been around a while.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just saw a Dutch YouTuber with an FTR put on Avon Cobra Chrome. I'll give him the edge pattern is neat, but looks more like a cruiser tire akin to the Commander series. From what I've seen the CRA3s remain top of my list, with the T31/T32 and Avon ST as good alternatives.

·
Rider
1,309 Posts
Just recently fitted the Avon Spirit STs to mine. The Avon Cobra Chromes are indeed more of a cruiser tire but dependent on riding manner the trade off with a bike like the FTR will be traction for longevity I would imagine!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just got back from a proper ride on the T32s, what a difference, front feels very planted with great feedback, turn in is a touch slower but the tyres are stiffer and offer great feel, no following of tar snakes or road grooves, vibration seems to be reduced and the grip goes on forever, very pleased with them

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well, based on lower cost, $50 rebate, and general overall positive reviews here, I went with the Bridgestone T31’s.

I’ve got a set of better front brake pads waiting to be installed, so I’ll do that when I take the wheels off to get the new rubber mounted. Should be a better feeling bike for sure. We’re planning a trip to The Gap next month, so hopefully everything will be buttoned up by then. Even bought a new ramp to load two bikes up rather than pulling my trailer.

·
Rider
1,054 Posts
Be gentle....prior to buying this FTR, my most recent sport riding is a 2019 Spr DH stage II, and a 17' RM stage I, one or two up riding on many roads that challenge or surpass the Dragon (and have far less traffic). So, compared to my 84' RZ which still sits in my garage, unridden since 96' the FTR has offered a fairly steep learning curve :) (y), especially with the stock Dunlops :oops:

I have about 52 "spirited" miles on Conti Road Attack III's and am quite happy with them. Continental advertises these as requiring no scrub in, and I would agree with that.

I kept the stock tire pressure, (35 psi F, 40 psi R) It was about 68 F or a bit or < at 3,000 feet elevation, and you can see the rear tire "where the tide has gone out" wear leads me to believe once it gets hot outside, I will need to increase pressure. I really did not exercise the front a whole lot....more analysis will come on track days when I can also play with the suspension.

I really like these tires so far, and am absolutely jazzed with how much more of an improved feel they have over the Dunlop stockers. Very sure footed, is how I would describe them. I also didn't realize how much drift we get out of the stock tires compared these new Conti's, which cut a very clean and precise line (and allow much easier wheelies due to less wheel spin?). This was only apparent to me due to the fact that I live very close to some extreme riding and am very familiar with a few of the wild second gear switchbacks with hearty elevation changes. With the stock tires, picking up the throttle at the apex would carry me to the edge of the road. With the Conti's doing the same makes the front end very very light.....definitely could have wheelied coming out of a turn or two.

Attachments

·
Silver member
5,474 Posts
kept the stock tire pressure, (35 psi F, 40 psi R) It was about 68 F or a bit or < at 3,000 feet elevation, and you can see the rear tire "where the tide has gone out" wear leads me to believe once it gets hot outside, I will need to increase pressure
I don’t see anything on your tire, they are barely scuffed-in.

Btw, I run them at 34F 33R cold at the moment. 60° when I woke up, 80°F in the canyons. No probems at all.

Actually I don’t like them with rear around 40 psi, rear becomes “bouncy/harsh”.

·
Rider
1,292 Posts
Just got back from a proper ride on the T32s, what a difference, front feels very planted with great feedback, turn in is a touch slower but the tyres are stiffer and offer great feel, no following of tar snakes or road grooves, vibration seems to be reduced and the grip goes on forever, very pleased with them
Are the T32s the next generation of the T31s or a different product?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would say next generation of the 31’s. Their rebate was only good for the T31’s, and I couldn’t find the proper sizes in stock with the T32’s anyways, which is why I went the T31 route.

·
Rider
1,292 Posts
I would say next generation of the 31’s. Their rebate was only good for the T31’s, and I couldn’t find the proper sizes in stock with the T32’s anyways, which is why I went the T31 route.
I have little doubt they will be great. Enjoy!

Reactions: 68RR

·
Rider
1,054 Posts
I don’t see anything on your tire, they are barely scuffed-in.

Btw, I run them at 34F 33R cold at the moment. 60° when I woke up, 80°F in the canyons. No probems at all.

Actually I don’t like them with rear around 40 psi, rear becomes “bouncy/harsh”.
Interesting. Never had any wheel hop. Looking forward to 'learning' these tires.

·
Silver member
5,474 Posts
Wheel hop? The only wheel hop I have is when I shift down too wild on bad roads. (I still don’t know why they call this a slipper clutch)

241 - 260 of 265 Posts