Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

201 - 220 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
You are correct, Max, the spring rate stays the same. 'Soft' was the wrong word to use. But adding preload to raise the sag in the rear improved the ride noticeably. Sorry for the confusion. I'm certainly not a suspension pro, but I know enough to spin and click my way into a competent ride.

·
Rider
1,309 Posts
Today's parcel delivery a pair of Avon Spirit STs. Stock size for front and 160/60ZR18 rear.

Only manufactured week 33 of 2020 instead of the usual 12-24 months old stock.

Beads and 3.1mm (1/8" in your money) drill bit to drill out the valve stems ready to go.

Just entered Covid Tier 4 here so will see next week if I can get them nailed on?

LATE EDIT: Am having the tires fitted this week Thursday by Moore Speed Racing, dropped the Avons off there yesterday in preparation. In mitigation I didn't find the OEM tires too bad in the drier seasons. A knee replacement November 2019 precluded me riding last Winter early Spring. Nevertheless I usually do ride in the Winter months. The OEM tires are horrendous on damp roads, skittish and unpredictable when winding on the gas, with the rear wheel spinning in third and fourth gears. Time for them to go despite having tread left.

Reactions: POE and Massimo

·
Rider
1,309 Posts
Was praying for no rain, but unfortunately no such luck. Rode the couple of miles to Moore Speed Racing to get the new Avons nailed on the rims. For any that may be interested the valve stems on the FTR are large enough to facilitate Dynabead insertion through the valve WITHOUT the necessity to drill them out to 1/8". Rough estimate is that the aperture must already be about 4mm or 1/6" plus as standard so the beads should fly in?

Off with the old.

On with the new 160/60 rather than 150/70.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Was praying for no rain, but unfortunately no such luck. Rode the couple of miles to Moore Speed Racing to get the new Avons nailed on the rims. For any that may be interested the valve stems on the FTR are large enough to facilitate Dynabead insertion through the valve WITHOUT the necessity to drill them out to 1/8". Rough estimate is that the aperture must already be about 4mm or 1/6" plus as standard so the beads should fly in?

Off with the old.

View attachment 619314

View attachment 619317

On with the new.

View attachment 619315

View attachment 619316
K9F, did you check the cush drive for play ?

·
Rider
1,309 Posts
Dealership did the work whilst I waited, chain needed a little tensioning. All I needed was the tires nailing on without any balancing, checking cush drive didn't even enter my mind. I did take a 3.1mm drill for them to run through the valve stem if required whilst the tire was off as it's easier from the inside than trying when the wheel and tire are fitted due to limited access especially on the front with the twin discs. Once home the balancing beads flew in, 2 ounces front and rear. Removed the weights off the front wheel, surprised to find there were no weights on the rear at all. Never noticed any imbalance, maybe it was a good tire or I had simply lost them perhaps?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Why do they need replacement? I have only replaced one cush drive and that was because it was old, one block pair was missing and the other pairs were torn part and it was difficult to work with.

·
Silver member
5,474 Posts
Some bikes only have one ball bearing in the sprocket carrier, in which case replacing these rubbers before they wear out is essential (DR650SE for example).

I haven’t checked the FTR, but it looks like it has a similar design. I can’t see if it is a single ball- or a roller bearing.

·
Rider
1,292 Posts

Off with the old.

View attachment 619314

View attachment 619317

On with the new 160/60 rather than 150/70.

View attachment 619315

View attachment 619316
Looks good, amigo.

Reactions: K9F

·
Silver member
5,474 Posts
Oh, I just checked the workshop manual, and they refer to the sprocket bearing as a roller bearing, not a ball bearing.

interestingly, they want you to inspect the rubbers, and the carrier itself, but make no mention of inspecting this bearing. Just the wheel bearings. Odd...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Impossible to get RoadAttacks in Oz at the moment according to various bike shops I’ve rung around the state. I’ve ordered a set of Bridgestone T31s, I always liked Bridgestones years ago so I’m looking forward to getting them fitted, surprisingly quite a bit cheaper than RAs too

·
Registered
770 Posts
Impossible to get RoadAttacks in Oz at the moment according to various bike shops I’ve rung around the state. I’ve ordered a set of Bridgestone T31s, I always liked Bridgestones years ago so I’m looking forward to getting them fitted, surprisingly quite a bit cheaper than RAs too
Yep I ordered mine from Italy...took a while to get here and cost a bit but worth every penny...bloody good rubber...👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ended up getting Scorpion's fitted last Friday then ran up 1200kms up to Falls Creek, Mitta Mitta, Mt Beauty, Omeo... Those in Oz/Vic get the idea.

I'm no knee dragger but I'm known not to be some slow coach. Let me say I couldn't be happier, had footage taken and up the mountain from Whitfield to Mansfield at 38c I barely managed to get TC flashing whilst I felt the bike marginally sliding under very heavy throttle and leaned over (just shy of touchdown).

Anyone who is unsure and can't get the CRA3 (which was my preferred option), you won't be unimpressed I'm sure...

Cheers,

Raj

·
Rider
1,054 Posts
Whelp.....looks like it's going to be Conti Road Attack III's. Thinking about pulling the wheels myself and dropping them off at the dealer for replacement, mounting and balancing.

Any booby traps pulling, reinstalling the wheels?

201 - 220 of 265 Posts