Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need a quick reference to what tires everyone has put on after stock shoes..
Please list Make and size
and a quick rundown on what was discovered with them, or any other relevant points that would help a potential user.

@HINK
Please pin this so it stays in forefront for quick reference.
I will bump it to keep it fresh until then.
Thanks in advance.

Cheers all!

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
Continental Road Attack 3:

front: 120/70ZR19
rear: 160/60ZR18

lighter, more precise steering, way more road feel, massive grip improvement (especially at lean) and super stable on concrete freeways with rain grooves.

A rear lasts about 5k miles, while front hardly shows wear.

Recommended (y)

·
Rider
1,270 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion Trail II. Stock size 150/70 R18 and 120/70 R19. Waiting for them to arrive. At 6,800 miles or so the stock DT3-R rear is down to the wear bars. Front seem okay.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Continental Road Attack 3:

front: 120/70ZR19
rear: 160/60ZR18

lighter, more precise steering, way more road feel, massive grip improvement (especially at lean) and super stable on concrete freeways with rain grooves.

A rear lasts about 5k miles, while front hardly shows wear.

Recommended (y)
I concur.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dunlop Trailsmart: 120/70-19 Front
150/70-18 Rear

May be a discontinued model as I was able to get the pair for $150ish from Dennis Kirk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Bridgestone T31s 120/70-19 front 160/60-18 rear. Observations below in comparison to DT3Rs...
Much improved grip in all conditions, especially wet road grip.
Huge increase in stability due to modern tread pattern and high "land to sea" ratio, this was apart from grip the most noticeable improvement to me
Lighter more accurate but slightly slower steering due to smaller diameter rear, this is more than made up for by the improved stability and the confidence it brings.
Mine are not even half worn at 3300km, the same distance the stock rear tyre had done when I replaced it. The stock rear was toast at 2500km but being summer I was happy to wring a few more slidey kilometres out of it;)
Less road noise.
Great value, I priced a DT3 rear only and the T31 are $100nzd more for the pair.
I found a real difference in the way the traction control works with the 160/60 rear in sport mode, not everyone running a 160/60 has the same experience here, YMMV.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pirelli Angel GT II (stock) front and Angel GT II (160/60 18) rear. I've only had them for a hundred or so miles, but so far I enjoy them much more then the stock Dunlop's. My only issue with stock was the occasional wobble from a grooved Hwy road. I was able to get 6500 miles from those, we'll see how these Angel's end up doing.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pirelli Angel GT II (stock) front and Angel GT II (160/60 18) rear. I've only had them for a hundred or so miles, but so far I enjoy them much more then the stock Dunlop's. My only issue with stock was the occasional wobble from a grooved Hwy road. I was able to get 6500 miles from those, we'll see how these Angel's end up doing.
I was curious about the Angel 2s. I LOVE the the regular angels. Had them on 3 bikes.
No tire warmed up faster and they lasted very well.
Good to read the review.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bridgestone T31s 120/70-19 front 160/60-18 rear. Observations below in comparison to DT3Rs...
Much improved grip in all conditions, especially wet road grip.
Huge increase in stability due to modern tread pattern and high "land to sea" ratio, this was apart from grip the most noticeable improvement to me
Lighter more accurate but slightly slower steering due to smaller diameter rear, this is more than made up for by the improved stability and the confidence it brings.
Mine are not even half worn at 3300km, the same distance the stock rear tyre had done when I replaced it. The stock rear was toast at 2500km but being summer I was happy to wring a few more slidey kilometres out of it;)
Less road noise.
Great value, I priced a DT3 rear only and the T31 are $100nzd more for the pair.
I found a real difference in the way the traction control works with the 160/60 rear in sport mode, not everyone running a 160/60 has the same experience here, YMMV.
Thanks for the thorough review!
I'm left with a question however.
Traction control is different how?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for the thorough review!
I'm left with a question however.
Traction control is different how?
I posted about it here. I've since learned that in track mode with TC/ABS on its not nearly as intrusive as I found when I ran it in sport mode as described in that post.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I posted about it here. I've since learned that in track mode with TC/ABS on its not nearly as intrusive as I found when I ran it in sport mode as described in that post.
This is one of the things that has me a little concerned about swapping sizes on the rear. At only 600-something miles on the bike, I've got a while to go before I've worn the stock rubber enough to justify the $$ for a new set; but I do wonder how the change in diameter is going to play with the TC.

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
Is track mode with abs/tc on actually a thing? I feels it’s the exact same as without track mode...

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
On a custom wheel (preferably 17”, because there are no decent 18” tires wider than 160), you could easily go 180 or 190.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts