Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, Polaris built the perfect flat tract replica bike for me.... I am a flat track freak and the FTR S is exactly what I was hoping for.... I am over the moon about this bike and can't believe the quality of the build.... I absolutely love this bike.... Knowing that adventure bikes are the current big thing in motorcycling, I starting to wonder.... Am I wrong? The FTR is about 80% there already.... How hard would it be for Polaris to turn this thing into an adventure bike killer ???? I think-- NOT HARD AT ALL !!!!

·
Silver member
4,816 Posts
The really only challenge Indian's engineers have is buidling an Adventure bike people can flat foot.

Apart from that I'd say it's 80% finished.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You know, Polaris built the perfect flat tract replica bike for me.... I am a flat track freak and the FTR S is exactly what I was hoping for.... I am over the moon about this bike and can't believe the quality of the build.... I absolutely love this bike.... Knowing that adventure bikes are the current big thing in motorcycling, I starting to wonder.... Am I wrong? The FTR is about 80% there already.... How hard would it be for Polaris to turn this thing into an adventure bike killer ???? I think-- NOT HARD AT ALL !!!!
There is a street version coming in 2020 and the adventure type in 2021. I think the current ones are the all rounders. The other two versions I believe will be bigger successes than the current.

·
Silver member
4,816 Posts
I believe the one that's about to be introduced in October is the allrounder. Odds are it starts cheaper than the FTR1200, is more versatile and a little more boring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was lucky enough to demo the ftr and I agree with everything you said - it’s a home run aside from the wheel size. Hopefully the street/sport version remedies this.

After my test ride I was ready to buy one but the nearest dealer is over an hr away, so this happened instead

R nine t

It all came down to convenience and had we had a local Indian dealer, I’d have an ftr in the garage. That said, the R9T doesn’t suck.

·
Silver member
3,321 Posts
I believe the one that's about to be introduced in October is the allrounder. Odds are it starts cheaper than the FTR1200, is more versatile and a little more boring.
I don't know, a little more boring can be good at times in motorcycle types.

Somebody should get somebody to put some pics or info up.

I'm predicting I'll like that one the best of the three versions.

·
Silver member
3,321 Posts
I was lucky enough to demo the ftr and I agree with everything you said - it’s a home run aside from the wheel size. Hopefully the street/sport version remedies this.

After my test ride I was ready to buy one but the nearest dealer is over an hr away, so this happened instead

R nine t

It all came down to convenience and had we had a local Indian dealer, I’d have an ftr in the garage. That said, the R9T doesn’t suck.
Wait, didn't you buy the bike to ride it? There's no fun route to the dealer?

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
I ADV ride all over North America and about 20% of those miles are various forms of off pavement/ off-road. ADV bikes need carrying capacity, weather protection for the rider, and bike protection. I don’t think the FTR delivers that when the going gets rough like riding in all day rains, routes than involve loose rock surfaces, mud. And minor crashes that are considered the norm on these types of travels. Are you sure the FTR as it’s configured now with the currently available options is really cut out for that?

·
Bronze member
1,767 Posts
No. The ftr is a road bike that likes to think it can go offroad.

I tried it once. Just to say I did.

And Flat tracks are basically a road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

R nine t

Can't argue.... I live 10 minutes away from the #1 Indian dealership in California.... Once in a while you get lucky.... BMW makes good stuff.... No negative comments here....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ADV ride all over North America and about 20% of those miles are various forms of off pavement/ off-road. ADV bikes need carrying capacity, weather protection for the rider, and bike protection. I don’t think the FTR delivers that when the going gets rough like riding in all day rains, routes than involve loose rock surfaces, mud. And minor crashes that are considered the norm on these types of travels. Are you sure the FTR as it’s configured now with the currently available options is really cut out for that?
As it is configured now ???? No.... After about 10 minutes of CAD time with a real mechanical engineer-- ABSOLUTELY !!!!

·
Bronze member
3,045 Posts

R nine t

you know if I had to buy my vehicles with the caveat that the dealer had to be within 1 hour of me.. I wouldn't even own a pickup or car... and if you throw shoes in the equation I would be walkin barefoot

1 - 20 of 41 Posts