Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up a new FTR today and had a chance to spin it on our dyno.

The bike was outfitted with the Akrapovic exhaust when we took delivery. Runs were done in 6th gear.

The test ride was a blast, but it felt like our shop's Octane when we bought it: Quiet as a mouse, runs a little quirky, but we can feel the potential of what's to come with some typical tuning mods and parts improving.

After we ran the FTR we ran our shop's Octane and laid the graphs over themselves. The Octane has a Ness intake, Trask 2-1 exhaust and a custom Power Vision tune.

So as you can see, the STOCK FTR outpowers the MODIFIED Octane! DAMN nice!

So naturally our next step was to plug in a Dynojet Power Vision and attempt to start improving the tune. Looks like it'll take some close work with Dynojet to make the firmware work as evidenced by this snipped from an email exchange between us (last picture).

Next step is improving the tune with the Akrapovic exhaust in anticipation of releasing a generic base tune for sale. And after that we start in on the custom exhaust.
Enjoy!
-Rylan-
The Runway Performance Indian

20190605_174046.jpg

FTR STOCK

FTR stock.jpeg

Stock FTR verses Octane with intake/exhaust/custom tune
FTR stock vs Octane.jpeg

The Shop's Octane

Gabe with Octane.JPG

Hooking up with a Power Vision to start tuning...
Ryan FTR PV3.jpg

...Once we work through the new bike's learning curve!
20190605_194942.jpg

·
Registered
454 Posts
Interesting.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Run a street bike on leaded race fuel at $15.- a gallon? :eek:
Only because I wanted to use it up before it went bad. I bought a can that had been sitting in my shop for a couple months. I often fill my R1200RT with 110 at ($10 a gallon) if I’m at the local track (as a spectator), It just runs better than crappy pump fuel with corn liquor in it, I figure it deserves better fuel once in a while;-). The FTR is a high compression motor (12.5-1) so it does run better on race gas...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unfortunately my FTR made the best power bone stock vs now cat deleated s&s grand national pv3 mapping the bike is mostly a poor running motorcycle compared to anything I've ever rode Polaris successively made a low powered turd.

·
Rider
654 Posts
Snoop are you running Runway's map? You seemed happy with it 8 months ago?

I've got over 2500 miles on my bike now it's fun to ride the fuel range isn't the greatest in Michigan (shitty fuel) had to buy the PV3 to make it run good...…….
Unfortunately my FTR made the best power bone stock vs now cat deleated s&s grand national pv3 mapping the bike is mostly a poor running motorcycle compared to anything I've ever rode Polaris successively made a low powered turd.
Have you had your maps upgraded/replaced since messing with it? I suspect it is you and/or your setup that has made it run like a low powered turd not Polaris? Mine runs like a raped ape with aftermarket options having been taken into consideration with regards to the mapping.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Snoop are you running Runway's map? You seemed happy with it 8 months ago?

Have you had your maps upgraded/replaced since messing with it? I suspect it is you and/or your setup that has made it run like a low powered turn not Polaris? Mine runs like a raped ape with aftermarket options having been taken into consideration with regards to the mapping.
I have been trying several maps it's always the same old problems this is the lowest powered bike I've ever rode so I'm not impressed with the power but that's not what I was getting it for but after dynoing it the real truth comes out. After almost a year with it I'm to the point of Polaris made a dam good try but have missed the boat in several areas with the FTR maybe I have to high of expectations for a product but I've give up on getting it to run good it's the little things that continue to add up. Last year it had the cat on this year it's off you now hear all the misses and pops. I'm not throwing the tuner under the buss it's just a bike that needs some factory refinement to get it up to par and my dealings with Polaris is it will be awhile .

·
Registered
36 Posts
The fuel Moto video is spot on we made like 112.35 in stock trim on my dyno and that's the best it's ever done now you could say that pretty dam good for a 1200cc v until you look at a Ducati monster.

·
Rider
654 Posts
If it's the lowest powered bike you have ever ridden it wasn't going to impress realistically from the start was it and you probably bought the wrong bike for the wrong reasoning? I love mine but haven't had any of the later rice rockets or Italian to compare with and my only other bike is a USA built 732lb behemoth. Shame you feel the way you do but what happened between the "fun to ride" bit 8 months ago and now?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Last year it was still new I was in a love hate relationship with it I was trying to give it a chance. It has a list of problems that are continuing to aggravate me some running problems some design problems I was not comfortable on sport bikes any more and was looking for something different well it's different I knew the power would be down but I put a lot of stock in Indian thinking it would be more refined than it is. If the FTR is the fastest best handling bike you have ever rode your going to be ecstatic with it. For a guy who's been around the block and built and road as many bikes as I have the FTR has some big holes in it's armor. Yes I did buy the wrong bike unfortunately I'm the one who's trying to figure a way out of my perdicument knowing it's all about how much of a loss I take getting rid of it or how much more do I spend making it run right. I'm going to investigate Runways mapping maybe switching tuners is all it will take. One of my biggest bitches it I'm new to the power cord software for the Pv3 and trying to figure out how to tune with it is killing me I know what the bike needs to run good I'm just not up to speed with making my own map yet and that in it self is a giant aggravation. But I shouldn't have to tune my brand new bike in the first place.

·
Rider
654 Posts
…...If the FTR is the fastest best handling bike you have ever rode your going to be ecstatic with it.

…...But I shouldn't have to tune my brand new bike in the first place.
Hi Snoop,

No it is not the fastest best handling bike I have ridden but I like to have to work at it a little. There are a myriad of bikes out there for less money (as we pay a premium, it works out we pay in £ what you pay in $ which equates to 22% more at today's exchange rate) for USA built machinery and often it is not cost effective, nevertheless to have what I deem to have a very capable bike with the FTR that is as rare as hen's teeth in the UK is worthy of the extra outlay. Fastest and best handling are realistically not high on my 'must haves' anymore, these days it's more about enjoyment, seating position as my days of leaning on a tank arse and legs behind are over and having the capability on occasion to surprise someone with what it can do if need be? You'll see exactly what I mean as you get older. (y)

The 'shouldn't have to tune my bike in the first place' bit I tend to agree with and many people have said the same. Nevertheless you will be acutely aware that engines are modulated, they can end up in the cold of Alaska or the heat of Saudi Arabia. They have huge safety margins built in and have to meet strict emissions. They build them all the same so no matter where they end up they will run safely and meet legislation. In a nutshell they are built for emissions not optimum performance.
Over in the UK there are no emission checks on motorcycles, compare that to Germany or indeed California. We have carte blanche to do what we want, do we get a better running machine from the factory? Er….that'll be a resounding NO! Why not simple....Cost! Maybe they rolled out the FTR too soon who knows? Nevertheless it took me a while to cotton on, to get it to run as you want it to run you need to put your hand in your pocket and dig deep. Nature of this feckle beast I'm afraid, but in this case not all of them do it apparently?

Things are going to get worse with EURO 6D due for implementation January 2021. It is rumoured several manufacturers won't invest the money to redesign current engines to meet the standards and some of them may fold or will have to come up with a new powerplant from scratch. Some well known established models will undoubtedly disappear altogether. Who really knows?

·
Silver member
4,237 Posts
No emissions checks in California either. The only difference is the charcoal can to catch fuel tank fumes (which doesn’t rob a bike from power or running good).

Euro 5 is the toughest nut to crack for manufacturers. CO and NOx emissions...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Snoop,

No it is not the fastest best handling bike I have ridden but I like to have to work at it a little. There are a myriad of bikes out there for less money (as we pay a premium, it works out we pay in £ what you pay in $ which equates to 22% more at today's exchange rate) for USA built machinery and often it is not cost effective, nevertheless to have what I deem to have a very capable bike with the FTR that is as rare as hen's teeth in the UK is worthy of the extra outlay. Fastest and best handling are realistically not high on my 'must haves' anymore, these days it's more about enjoyment, seating position as my days of leaning on a tank arse and legs behind are over and having the capability on occasion to surprise someone with what it can do if need be? You'll see exactly what I mean as you get older. (y)

The 'shouldn't have to tune my bike in the first place' bit I tend to agree with and many people have said the same. Nevertheless you will be acutely aware that engines are modulated, they can end up in the cold of Alaska or the heat of Saudi Arabia. They have huge safety margins built in and have to meet strict emissions. They build them all the same so no matter where they end up they will run safely and meet legislation. In a nutshell they are built for emissions not optimum performance.
Over in the UK there are no emission checks on motorcycles, compare that to Germany or indeed California. We have carte blanche to do what we want, do we get a better running machine from the factory? Er….that'll be a resounding NO! Why not simple....Cost! Maybe they rolled out the FTR too soon who knows? Nevertheless it took me a while to cotton on, to get it to run as you want it to run you need to put your hand in your pocket and dig deep. Nature of this feckle beast I'm afraid, but in this case not all of them do it apparently?

Things are going to get worse with EURO 6D due for implementation January 2021. It is rumoured several manufacturers won't invest the money to redesign current engines to meet the standards and some of them may fold or will have to come up with a new powerplant from scratch. Some well known established models will undoubtedly disappear altogether. Who really knows?
So now what to do with the FTR I have to fix my latest self induced problem witch was a attempt to fix a problem then keep it or take the hit and send it down the road and move on to the next bike?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts