Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any issues with their S model speedometer accuracy? At 60 mph, the bike is showing 4-6 MPH faster than my phone GPS. The same phone GPS has always been pretty accurate with my car or old bike.

·
Bronze member
2,182 Posts
It’s a built in error. Every modern bike/car is off by a few mph.

My ftr is off by 5 depending on the speed.

The tuners haven’t found a way to correct speedo accuracy just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
737 Posts
every vehicle does it. at slower speeds the difference isn't that bad. but always go a few miles/kph faster than the speedo says and you're still safe :)

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Here in Oz the design regulations say that the speedo must not show higher than 10% above real speed, and is not to show under real speed by any amount at all. Most manufacturers set them up to show about 5% above real speed.

My Springfield used to show 5% over until I changed to Night Dragons which have a different profile and the speedo is now spot on when matched to a GPS.

There is a value in Power Core where you can adjust the speedo accuracy if you have a PVCX / PV3.

·
Rider
1,268 Posts
Stock tires and 2 mph off across the board. Those putting lower profile tires are getting even greater variations.

·
Silver member
5,439 Posts
There is a value in Power Core where you can adjust the speedo accuracy if you have a PVCX / PV3.
I haven’t been able to find that setting yet (and tbh, I assumed the speed signal came from the ABS control unit).

gonna take a look tomorrow 👍

·
Bronze member
2,182 Posts
Per Ryan and fm. There isn’t one in the ftr.

Pretty sure he is talking about a different bike.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
Outside of tire diameter the only other thing that would get you closer to accurate might be a different chain sprocket. Dropping a tooth on the rear one might do it, especially if you went with a smaller O.D. tire.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I haven’t been able to find that setting yet (and tbh, I assumed the speed signal came from the ABS control unit).

gonna take a look tomorrow 👍

Yes, different bike. I'm on a Springfield, but didn't realise the FTR didn't have the speedo adjustment value. Here's where it is on the TS111 bikes.

·
Silver member
5,439 Posts
The fact the speedo is 5-7% off doesn’t automatically mean the odometer is too. 😉

Btw, who cares if a bike did 18.5 or 20k miles?

·
Rider
1,138 Posts
This is what I used to adjust my Goldwing. a few years ago. It worked very well to adjust the displayed speed.

It does not have a listing for Indian, but states there is a universal kit available. Would have to figure out where to hook it up to.

--
Gordon

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
688 Posts
Iv'e owned Hondas, Yamahas and now Indians they all have been off compared to a GPS. 10% above somewhere around 60 mph 5% above say 35 mph or so. I've had different brands of GPSs, all the same.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
Not sure if there is any adjustment to calibrate the speedometer. Mechanically a change in tire outside diameter or a change to the final drive ratio can sometimes bring it closer to being accurate. Depends upon how important this is as to whether or not it's worth the time & money.

·
Silver member
4,644 Posts

You are correct. On the Scout models you can change the calibration value.

·
Silver member
4,644 Posts
The PV3 can display MPH on its display. It gets its value directly from the ECU over CANBus (same as the speedometer cluster). My speedometer is off 3.5% (reads higher), but the reading on my PV3 is dead on with GPS. So the error is not the sending unit, but the speedometer itself.

My PV3 is mounted under my instrument panel, so I can observe the MPH and Tach readings easily.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts