Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone else has had this happen to their ridecommand screen on their FTR or any other Indian motorcycle equipped with Ridecommand for that matter. I've noticed the screen appears to be 'bubbling' of sorts at the edge as though moisture has gotten in. Luckily I'm still within warrenty so I've had my local dealership send in photos for a warrenty replacement.

Just thought I'd post here and see if anything has experienced anything similar and had good results with their warrenty. I've attached a couple photos about 2 weeks apart and it's noticibly getting worse.

For clarification she's a 2019 FTR1200S
Bicycle Bicycle frame Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror Helmet Bumper

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
709 Posts
My dealer specifically told me it was for delamination, especially if sitting in direct sunlight. I don't recall seeing anyone with fading issues but several have posted on here about their screen delaminating.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah when I saw that TSB I thought it was about something separate to what's going on with my screen. My service advisor said he'd never seen that on any of the RideCommand screens before.

It actually only started happening when I began keeping my FTR outside under the all weather cover instead of in the garage.

Just waiting to hear back from Indian headquarters or whichever. I'm sure they'll replace the entire unit what with it supposedly being a completely watertight unit.

·
Registered
472 Posts
When my Ride Command unit was replaced, my mileage was reset to Zero. I only had 400 miles on the ODO at the time, so not a huge deal, but it's still something to watch for. I'd prefer having all my miles accounted for.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't want to thread-jack; but in the direct sunlight, I can see something on display that I'm not sure is normal. (Never mind the screen protector that is starting to come up on the left side... I'm taking about the circular areas on the top.) Thoughts?

Hood Blue Font Rectangle Luggage and bags

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
709 Posts
Mine has those same exact three dots. I can't see them when the screen is on or in the shade, only when off and in direct sunlight. I've been keeping an eye on them but so far its not an issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oof that's actually very annoying, yeah I'm at 6xxxkm's right now so I'd appreciate them keeping that on the odometer somehow.

Did you have to do your break-in service twice? /sarcasm

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've experienced similar issues on the screen of my Moto Guzzi California 1400. If I park my bike in the sun, the screen fades so much that the info including the speedometer is not visible.

No known cure, the trick is to find a cooler place to park, or start riding and watch the screen slowly reappear.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I keep my FTR under a car port and usually also under a bike cover - no issues.
if yours has been outside in the air but under a cover maybe its moisture? Still shouldn't happen though.
some have had their replaced under warranty.
your dealer legally must add the miles you've already done to the new ride command. apparently it's definitely possible but many just don't bother. so let them know about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So here's an update folks, Indian gave me a call on behalf of my local dealership. They let me know that replacement has been approved even though the screen protector TSB hadn't been done to my bike (as I purchased it this year, and have had it to the dealership twice for service and they never did it)

Won't be able to get it installed until the spring as my bike is already sleeping in storage, as well they confirmed they CAN NOT add my current mileage to my new ridecommand unit. So that's interesting. The woman from Indian said the unit is tamper proof, so they can't modify that.

Oh well, wonder what the bike is worth now that it's a '19 with zero mileage? 😂

·
Bronze member
2,498 Posts
So here's an update folks, Indian gave me a call on behalf of my local dealership. They let me know that replacement has been approved even though the screen protector TSB hadn't been done to my bike (as I purchased it this year, and have had it to the dealership twice for service and they never did it)

Won't be able to get it installed until the spring as my bike is already sleeping in storage, as well they confirmed they CAN NOT add my current mileage to my new ridecommand unit. So that's interesting. The woman from Indian said the unit is tamper proof, so they can't modify that.

Oh well, wonder what the bike is worth now that it's a '19 with zero mileage?
They absolutely can. For some reason dealers have been saying this and Indian put out a notice to the dealers as to how to do it. It’s a procedure with the digital wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts