Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
5 years +
2021 Challenger Dark Horse & 2000 Millennium Chief
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
However, the Indian FTR 1200 was not just a stand alone motorcycle. Indian is using the platform of the flat-track motorcycle to develop two more new models. Data from a presentation has been shared by MotorbikeWriter and the slide actually reveals that Indian Motorcycles is on the verge of launching four new motorcycles. The Indian FTR 1200 currently on sale was codenamed Apollo. Hence, under the Apollo column, we see the first model that is codenamed the Apollo Tracker ( FTR 1200. Up next though, we see the 'Street' model and then comes the Adventure.

#ironindians #FTRRally #FTRApollo #FTRraven #reneglide ;)

The MY 2019 Apollo Tracker was launched in 2018 as the FTR 1200 in two variants — FTR 1200S and FTR 1200S Race Replica. Up next is the MY 2020 Street, and this model can be expected to reach showroom floors in 2019. The street could probably be named FTR 1200 Sport when it is put on sale later this year. It will be a sportier version of the FTR 1200 and will in all probability come with grippier street tyres. According to the leaked slide, the Indian FTR 1200 Adventure will be up next. It is a MY 2021 model and hence is expected to be launched in 2020. It could be named the FTR 1200 Rally and will come in full off-road spec. According to the slide, the two new models from the Indian stable are the Indian Scout Miniball and a cruiser which is codenamed Raptor. The Indian FTR 1200 is the first streetfighter motorcycle from the company. It is powered by a 1,203cc V-twin engine with a maximum power output of 120bhp and a peak torque output of 115Nm. A six-speed gearbox with a slipper clutch drives the rear wheel.

Indian Motorcycles FTR 1200 Lineup To Get Two New Models — Street & Adventure

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
So they're quoting a source that doesn't know either (motorbikewriter). Nice.

My 2 cents:

The next model "Street" will differ from the FTR in more than just the wheels/tires. Seat & subframe, faux tank shape, maybe even a different swingarm and duo rear shocks for instance. Or even a tophalf fairing on some versions. (Suzuki Bandit jumps to mind). I actually expect it to be slightly less sportier than the FTR

For the Adventure model I'd expect something more like the KTM 990SMT or 1090/1290 Adventure

We'll see, exiting times!

·
Registered
801 Posts
So they're quoting a source that doesn't know either (motorbikewriter). Nice.

My 2 cents:

The next model "Street" will differ from the FTR in more than just the wheels/tires. Seat & subframe, faux tank shape, maybe even a different swingarm and duo rear shocks for instance. Or even a tophalf fairing on some versions. (Suzuki Bandit jumps to mind). I actually expect it to be slightly less sportier than the FTR

For the Adventure model I'd expect something more like the KTM 990SMT or 1090/1290 Adventure

We'll see, exiting times!
Maybe the street will be a cafe racer style

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
LOL That article was written based on that Spy photo document showing the "Road Chief" and "Apollo" which turned out to be the FTR.

·
5 years +
2021 Challenger Dark Horse & 2000 Millennium Chief
97 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
long before all this gossip became apparent across the motorcycle landscape my dealer told me about the ADV and the fixed fairing... nothing about the "street" version of the FTR... or about a 750 version..

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
long before all this gossip became apparent across the motorcycle landscape my dealer told me about the ADV and the fixed fairing... nothing about the "street" version of the FTR... or about a 750 version..

There was quite a bit of talk here about a street version and 750 version back in August based on some patent filings by Polaris, on several variations of the FTR platform.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I just read an article stating that there will be 2 new models based on the ftr1200. It makes sense to me, I can't link cause I'm on my phone and working. The article stated there will be a street fighter that is a much sportier version of the ftr1200 to come out later this year and an adventure bike to come out for model year 2021. Sounds good to me. I'm excited about what Indian is doing.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Let me guess, motorbikewriter, or another website quoting motorbikewriter?

(it's no secret the Apollo platform was meant to be modular)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My 0.02: Indian won't announce or release any variant on the FTR platform before winter. They'd be foolish to. There's so much buzz and anticipation around the FTR as it is, any variation on the theme is likely to detract from what they're releasing. Shoot, if they announced or spy photo'd an FTR with a cafe fairing and 17" wheels, I'd move my deposit yesterday. They don't want that sort of thing to happen.

·
Bronze member
2019 FTR 1200
1,288 Posts
While I share MotorbikeWriters excitement they're sure making a lot of assumptions. Apollo, Raptor, and Miniball are likely all internal project/prototype names rather than final model names. The trademarks made it clear, Indian are moving forward with the names Renegade, Raven, and Challenger.

The "Street" model FTR could be anything, the word street doesn't imply anything other than the absence of dirt. Could be sportier, could be a cheaper commuter/entry market model like Harley-Davidson's Street model series.

The Adventure variant I believe will be a significant departure from the FTR we know with a tougher/heavier frame, actual dual sport rubber and rims, as well as longer travel suspension. Personally I hope they've learned a thing or two watching Triumph release the Scrambler 1200 XE.

I won't be surprised if they do something new with the Scout platform in 2020, it's the 100 year anniversary of the Indian Scout after all, but I highly doubt they'll call it a Miniball.

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Rider
369 Posts
I have it from a reliable anonymous source inside PI’s Russian facility that they are planning a spin-off of the FTR to capture the delivery and courier markets. The new model will be called the Indian Carrier Pidgeon.

AC10E368-6F60-4966-BD41-E7D569A37EE6.jpeg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts