Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, after 1 year of ownership I thought I'd check the level of coolant in my radiator... Cold bike, on side stand.... After backing off the Allen screw on the cap I turned the cap... Once the cap was off quite a bit of coolant came out.... I swiftly put the cap back on.... Now I'm cleaning up my mess.... Sorry if this is a stupid question but first liquid cooled bike, is this normal? Thanks in advance. 馃憤

Rider
Because you don't check the level at the radiator as it is not the highest point of the system. The recovery bottle is! If you're bored don't tinker would be my advice or RTFM, alternatively put on a red nose, squirty flower and floppy shoes before you commence. The manual states when removing the cap you are supposed to pinch the coolant bottle pipe off with a set of pliers before removing the cap.

Rider
Fluid in the puke tank is measured with bike straight up. Put it on a rear stand and flash a strong LED light under the left "tank" cover to check the level.

Registered
There's a window on the front of your left side airbox cover where you can read the coolant. You may need to shine a flashlight up under the airbox cover in order to actually see any coolant in there, or just take your left airbox cover off.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers, what does rtfm mean fella? So I've lost some out of the overflow?

Rider
You now need to go into complete meltdown before you realize you will now need to go out and source some coolant. It is all in the manual Wayne and if you haven't got a copy get one please or read it before you embark on the topping up procedure and access to the bottle you should have headed to in the first instance.

@R.Warshawski you my friend are supposed to be taking it easy. Who's doing the typing for you? Heal quickly and pain free! (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
You now need to go into complete meltdown before you realize you will now need to go out and source some coolant. It is all in the manual Wayne and if you haven't got a copy get one please or read it before you embark on the topping up procedure and access to the bottle you should have headed to in the first instance.

@RWarshawski you my friend are supposed to be taking it easy. Heal quickly and pain free! (y)
Will I need to top up even though I have lost half a cup of collant fella?

Rider
Check the level and fill to between the lines on the indicator window. 50/50 mix by the way, if the level is already there you've been a luck boy and hopefully learnt a valuable lesson. Every day's a school day!

Rider
Wait what, @R. Warshawsky in sick bay?
I feel a thread hijack coming on! He's probably got enough opiates to throw one hell of a party perhaps? Let's all go to Rob's!

^^^My bad, apologies! No accident, important thing....bike's ok! 馃槀馃榿

Details here:

........ get a total shoulder replacement a week later; 5) follow the lead of my brother Mal (@K9F) and do a boat load of rehab; and 6) ride again in 6 months. Life is good...

Reactions: R. Warshawsky

Rider
All good, my friends. Had a left total shoulder replacement yesterday. Off work for a month. PT has already begun. No motorcycling for several months. Mal (@K9F ) has been a great friend with guidance on joint replacement. Ride safe all!

Rider
I know someone else is doing the typing for you. There's no spelling mistakes and your grammar and sentence construction has vastly improved!

馃槀馃槄馃ぃ馃槑

Humor helps too! Even if it has to be spelled the American way without the second 'U'! (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Checked the overflow tank... To be honest since day one I've never been able to see the level through the sight window even with a good light... Although saying that from looking underneath I'd say there's definitely some coolant in there...thanks for your help, total nob head mistake.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Wow K9F... Just noticed your edit... alternatively put on a red nose, squirty flower and floppy shoes before you commence.... Heavy man, did I really deserve that? If I'm being over sensitive, I apologise.

Rider
Checked the overflow tank... To be honest since day one I've never been able to see the level through the sight window even with a good light... Although saying that from looking underneath I'd say there's definitely some coolant in there...thanks for your help, total nob head mistake.
When shining the light, give the bike a small nudge and you can see the fluid level more easily.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts