Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I should not even be entertaining this idea right now, but I'm toying with the idea of another bike. Since I live in FL. where it's mostly flat, I don't get the full potential out of the FTR and I'm looking to add a cruiser and something I could possibly do some longer distance rides on. Hence I'm looking at the new Chief.

Do any FTR owners have any experience with the Chief, in any of it its iterations? How does the power and ride quality compare? Would it be a good second bike or would it be a replacement? Really love the FTR so the thought of swapping it is hard but my garage and wallet are only so big...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have both. Can't really compare them though. Totally different beasts. I live in an area with a lot of nice windy roads, so I get to use the FTR to it's potential. It is a phenomenal handling motorcycle. The Chief is to, for what it is, but nothing like the FTR. I have ridden my Chief across the country and it is great at that, I would not want to do that on the FTR. Chief has plenty of power and will outrun most any stock Harley. It rides great for a cruiser.

Really just depends on what you want to do with them. They are so totally different, there really is no comparison.
Rob

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! I feel like I would get to use the Chief more to it's full potential, but I love the power of the FTR and it actually is great as a commuter as you sit higher than most cars and has the power to get you out of tight situations... We don't have many twisty roads here in Florida, but the ones I do find are that much more fun but I am sure the Chief could probably handle those too.

If you had to pick one or the other as your only bike, which one do you think you would choose?

·
Bronze member
2,731 Posts
I spent a lot of time on the chief dark horse. With the stage 2 kit it is a fun and decent handling bike.

Almost bought one, but decided to get a second ftr instead.

If I were to buy another bike and keep the ftrs, it would be a challenger. Every chance I get to ride which ever bike I want at an event it’s usually a challenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spent a lot of time on the chief dark horse. With the stage 2 kit it is a fun and decent handling bike.

Almost bought one, but decided to get a second ftr instead.

If I were to buy another bike and keep the ftrs, it would be a challenger. Every chance I get to ride which ever bike I want at an event it’s usually a challenger.

Good info!

I'm not sure if I'm ready to move into the full bagger world yet... I've heard amazing things about its performance, but I just prefer smaller bikes while I'm still young. Not to mention it would be impossible to convince the wife on a 25K bike vs 15K lol.

·
Registered
99 Posts
As to the question of if I had to pick only one for my everyday bike, unfortunately, it wouldn't be either Indian. It would be a different bike all together. I am lucky enough to be able to have a lot of bikes in my collection, and while I like both of my Indians, I would not choose either to be my only bike.

Sorry.
Rob

·
Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,365 Posts
I had an FTR and another behemoth of a bike (not a Chief) but it was American made, weighed in at 732lbs and had an 8'2" wheelbase. I owned both bikes purely because neither one could tick all my boxes and it was nice to choose which bike to ride on any given day dependent on the mood and type of roads I was heading out on. Nevertheless, I was restless and felt I needed a change after two years with the FTR and 5 years with the other bike.

In the end I opted for a single machine that I simply fell in love with and had to own. It was a relatively easy choice to make as it sat in the middle of the spectrum between the two I had. A year on it still continues to tick all my boxes and life is less complicated when you have only one bike to nurture. Just my $0.02 worth. You'll know the bike you'd be willing to ditch the FTR for as soon as you see it, finding it is a journey in itself. Good luck bgillen35.

Reactions: bgillen35

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'll know the bike you'd be willing to ditch the FTR for as soon as you see it, finding it is a journey in itself.
My problem is I don't want to ditch the FTR, I want all the bikes but my garage and wallet are only big enough for one lol.

I love the styling of the Chief just as much as the FTR, but there's something about an air cooled engine and, while all bikes these days are filled with electronics so it kind of negates the point, it just seems simpler, easier to work on, and more customizable. Might be a bit of a nostalgia factor as the Chief is similar to my first HD Iron 883 in those regards and that is making me lean towards the Chief, but I don't want to give up on the performance and fun of the FTR just yet.

·
Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,365 Posts
My problem is I don't want to ditch the FTR, I want all the bikes but my garage and wallet are only big enough for one lol....
I am more or less in the same boat as you. I only ride for pleasure and justifying the ownership of more than one is hard. Real Estate in my garage is at a premium too. If I want to keep something, something of the same size has to go.

As you are probably aware bgillen35 I ditched both my steeds for a custom Scout. From both my steed's perspective switching to the Scout was an upgrade and for me an easy one to make. It is in itself the most fun to ride bike I have ever owned.

Reactions: bgillen35

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As you are probably aware bgillen35 I ditched both my steeds for a custom Scout. From both my steed's perspective switching to the Scout was an upgrade and for me an easy one to make. It is in itself the most fun to ride bike I have ever owned.
Yes, your Scout is amazing! I was actually considering a Scout when I was shopping for the FTR a few years ago, but I was looking for something sportier at the time, hence why I went with the FTR. If the Chief wasn't introduced, I would probably be considering a Scout now instead.

·
Rider
March 2022 ROTM Winner
2,365 Posts
A Scout may be easier to justify regarding cost perhaps and room? I loved the FTR but for me it was a potential 'license loser' as you'd be into triple digits before realizing it. With the Scout you can be sat at 70 and think you're doing a lot more; the capability is readily there as is the customization potential too. You could keep the FTR too perhaps?

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A Scout may be easier to justify regarding cost perhaps and room? I loved the FTR but for me it was a potential 'license loser' as you'd be into triple digits before realizing it. With the Scout you can be sat at 70 and think you're doing a lot more; the capability is readily there as is the customization potential too.
They're not too far off in price really ($15K for a Scout or Rouge with ABS and $16k for the Chief, $17 for the DH), but again I think the nostalgia factor of an air cooled engine is enough to justify the minimal price difference.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well if you decide to buy a new bike hit me up before you sign the papers and I’ll send you something.

Good to know, thanks! I'll probably inquire when I take the FTR in for the recall which I still haven't scheduled yet... That will give me some time to think of a scheme so I can convince my wife into this "too good to be true opportunity" that happened to fall into my lap when I brought the bike in lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts