Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a small hijack of the Strange Times thread I realized we don’t have a thread dedicated to the FTR at the racetrack.
To be perfectly honest, I was never a great road racer. Faster than some, slower than the fast guys. Middle of the pack. I discovered road racing in my 40’s so I was already to old to be fearless enough to be a contender. Now that I’m in my 60’s though my stories of those days racing can be totally embellished with pride.
Anyway back to the point of this thread.
The FTR is an outstanding bike to get to the track for an absolute blast. It won’t be the fastest bike out there but it has what it takes. It’s a short track bike due to its 120ish mph top end. The tracks with longer straights will see it topped out with sport bikes blowing by at 150+.
The FTR isn’t going to challenge the lap records so the stock tires are fine. I had no issues running around 10 seconds off the fast times on them. A few laps I shimmied the back end a little at the end of the straights under heavy braking but that happens with full on race rubber too. Other than that no traction issues whatsoever. Let me also say that I’m old school with how I ride though. I don’t go for max lean on this type bike. I’ll hang off the inside to keep the bike more upright and on the meat of the tread. My pegs/boots will come close but I never dragged hard parts.
Brakes on the FTR are excellent. No issues there. The Brembos will haul her heavy butt down from 120 easily and repeatedly with no problems. Handling is easy. The FTR will transition from side to side effortlessly. Plus the motor is just there to do whatever you want. It doesn’t really matter what rpm you are at. It just pulls and pulls hard. I tried different rpms for corner entry and thus exit and it really makes no difference. Come in in a higher gear and the torque pull you out. Lower gear and the same thing. Hp pulls you out. My preference was higher gear entry and exit just to be easier on the motor. The FTR is also less tiring to ride than a sport bike due to the riding position. Less upper body stress.
Sport bikes will embarrass you. She is a slow heavy pig by those standards. But so what. A track day is not a race. You will hold your own coming out of the corners but prepare to have them blow by at the end of the straight. Hold your line and let them. That’s the way it works.
I just work on me. Work on the lines, breaking points and being smooth. To warm up I leave the aids on in standard mode. I’ll switch to sport mode for a session or two and then back to standard later in the day. I always quit before I get to tired and quit trying to push hard in the later sessions. One tiny lapse in concentration as you get tired can be disastrous. The later sessions I’ll just work on the line and smooth transitions. Funny thing is when I stop going all out and just get the lines right and the transitions right the lap times stay good as well.
Track prep? For most track days all you need to do is take the mirrors off. Of course check the bike. Fluids topped off. Tires good. Air pressure right. Some tracks want the headlight taped. Some the antifreeze replaced with water or waterwetter.
Safety gear is always full leathers, good gloves, over the ankle boots and a less than 5 year old dot helmet.
I encourage everyone to get their FTR on a track. It will make you a better rider!

C20294D4-E694-484C-998D-D90E946279D2.jpeg

·
Registered
13 Posts
A lot of great information that you posted, thank you. I've been a little apprehensive about getting on the track. The details and info out there makes it a lot less daunting for those of us who have never gotten around to it, and this definitely is appreciated

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a reminder that High Plains Raceway in NE Colorado is having an open track day for motorcycles on the 29th of this month. It’s 2 hours from the Springs and less from Denver. I’ll be there. I’ll bring the FTR if another will be there. Otherwise I’ll bring my little supermoto bike.

·
Registered
231 Posts
And no that’s not me in the picture. It’s one of my son’s friends. Below is 1973 me on my 1972 CZ 250.
That's a nice looing CZ! I had a 1972 DKW 125. I wanted a Bultaco Pursang so bad but it wasn't to be.

Fond memories, but I really don't miss the Bing carb and limited suspension travel. Simpler times for sure.

Here is a photo of a DKW 125 from the Tom White museum.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the picture of me on the CZ at my aunts house. She had come to visit and we had gone out to the street behind my mom’s house to shoot some wheelie pictures. It took me a while to figure out the picture that I posted. Why am I stopped there? It’s down the street from my mom’s house. If you look at what I am doing it becomes clear. I took off from mom’s and forgot to turn on the gas. That’s where the bike stopped and if you look I’m reaching down to turn it on.
That’s the only picture I found from that day so the wheelie shots must have failed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don’t worry this will come around to the FTR shortly.
So Sunday I took my KTM 690 SMC R to High Plains Raceway for a track day. This is a supermoto bike that’s pretty much a dirt bike with 17 inch street tires. Supermoto bikes are light nimble and capable of embarrassing sport bikes on a short track. The KTM is pretty damn good and capable of insane lean angles, extreme late braking and rockets out of corners. My best lap on it was 2.27.
Ok now the FTR part:
The day I ran the FTR my best lap was a 2.30. Bone stock. Even the tires and I was only 3 seconds off ! Yes the FTR was a lot more work to go that fast but damn Indian did a phenomenal job creating it. It’s that good from a company that makes heavy twin cruisers.
Next track day the KTM stays home. The FTR gets sticky tires, the Bassani pipe and tune go back on and we go rip up some asphalt!

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
I think if pure fun was the yardstick, the FTR would win hands down. I have had this beast for less than 6 months and am on my 5k oil change...my total mileage on my last ride was 10.5k in 5 years...

·
Rider
1,406 Posts
Just done a little investigating after Ferraiolo gave me the heads up.

Anyone realise that the standard tires fitted to the FTR are R rated at a paltry 105 mph? I didn't. New boots next purchase!

·
Rider
1,406 Posts
Mine was governed at 124mph indicated and I could still set cruise at 102mph....Not any more!!!!! :cool: I hope you're right Max, don't need to rush out quite so quickly for new boots yet. Will look at the bike rather than try to fathom what the internet reckons. Was too excited about getting out on it to waste time looking at tire letters yesterday.

Thanks.(y)

·
Rider
1,406 Posts
You did better than me Ferraiolo. For some unfathomable reason I thought in my rush to get out they were R rated. Fool that I was. Be reassuring if Max is correct because I can still check my speed limiter removal on occasion with impunity in controlled conditions with Police, Emergency Services, Coastguard and any other ‘elf and safety people required in attendance. Will check physically once I get home if nobody corrects us.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Yeah, the tires’ speed rating should always exceed the bike’s top speed (~120mph in this case). Itz ze law...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sunday June 7th. High Plains Raceway. At least one FTR will be there.
I’ve had both the FTR and my KTM 690 SMC R there. Roughly the same lap times in the 2:30 range. After the last day where I ran the KTM and learned they don’t want you to pass in the corners I decided I need the hp of the FTR. First time was bone stock. This time I’ll have stickier rubber, Bassani pipe and a Fuelmoto tune. Those upgrades, weight savings and more familiar with the track and I should be able to drop a few seconds.
We shall see!😊

1 - 20 of 25 Posts