Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OEM Dunlop Tires; they have a (8~10) PSI range from cold to Hot, after a ride pressure climbs above 40 PSI – I’ve been told that Dunlop’s don’t have a strong a carcass like Pirelli or Avon – plus humidity moisture that’s in the tire pressure plays a part – Has anyone out there used Dry Nitrogen before??? (I'm Using “Ride On”, Latex Sealant/Balancer now – I’m sure there’s moisture in it)

·
Rider
1,404 Posts
The only type of Nitrogen that is of any use for on-road Indian Motorcycles is the kind whereupon the molecules have tiny little Indian War Bonnets emblazoned on them and you pay an extortionate amount for each and every top up. Ask your dealer.

🤣

Reactions: Dr.Shifty

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a Liter costs $27 - green valve caps are separate - I doubt the molecules are on the war path - the question was - Has anyone out there used Dry Nitrogen before??? - I guess it's a safe bet to say you haven't

·
Rider
772 Posts
I've used it in my bikes and cars. I live in the high plains of west Texas where I can experience +40 temp swings in a day. I ride year round and have noticed very significant pressure changes in my tires when using compressed air compared to Nitrogen. Most on here will tell you N2 is BS, and compressed air is the same, but I call that BS because just using the pressure sensors alone, I have witnessed the differences.

"Dry Nitrogen" as you mentioned is just a good grade of Nitrogen. 100% Nitrogen will contain no moisture and is "Dry". It is the moisture in compressed air that is what is expanding with heat and causing the pressure changes. When using good quality Nitrogen you won't experience near the pressure changes. You may still see 1-2 psi difference, just because of the residual "air" that remains in your tire when filling with N2. To properly fill your tire, you should deflate the air, then re-inflate with N2 and repeat this cycle a few times.

You can reduce your pressure fluctuations with CDA if you have a compressor with a few stages of driers on the output. However, very few shops have adequate driers, and many riders just fill up their tires with their compressor that they have at home, which may have no driers on the output at all. You would be amazed at how much moisture is trapped in a compressor when the air is compressed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks – I’ve also heard the greater the pressure swing a tire has, the faster it wears out (the Nitrogen pays for itself) – but my main concern is over pressure at high speed – I’m also from TX and freeway speed limits are 85 + as you know, 90 is normal on a long haul – I’m guessing a small bottle from a welding supply outlet, and some Harbor Freight brass connectors should do the trick - Thanks

·
Rider
1,404 Posts
….. I guess it's a safe bet to say you haven't
32 years in the Air Force pumping tyres from different marques of aircraft I bet I have but have no cause to use it on terra firma.

·
Rider
1,404 Posts
I don't and I wont thank you very much! No need or desire where I live, would be a bit like 'Snake Oil.' Good luck in your quest for tire pressure nirvana.😁

·
Registered
182 Posts
NASCAR teams use nitrogen in their tires to help control temperatures. I agree it probably is a state of mind issue for street riders but if you want to use it, go for it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My OEM's tires are at half life now - I commute daily 100 miles round trip- HWY speeds (85mph +-) I know as the tire wears, it's speed rating also goes down - wanted to minimize the pressure swing with temp changes, get more miles out of them safely- so far I've heard some good things to it doesn't matter- and yes NASCAR and bikes on the bonneville salt flats use it.............I'm leery asking, does Rubber Latex condition tires from the inside out and help prevent dry rot? I'm sure to catch hell (LOL)

Thanks for replying....................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts