Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FTR OEM Chain;
CHAIN-525,114 LINK [CHINA MODEL ONLY] 3222335 $139.99 (no rust protection $30~$40 dollar standard basic chain) - Honda, Harley, Ducati, Triumph, they all use the cheapest because it's a consumable like tires - paying $140 bucks for a $40 dollar chain???? your lucky to get 10K miles - at 6K miles the signs of stretch are starting to show, the sprockets are still good - I use Amsoil Bar & Chain oil and scrub the rust off the side plates with a wire brush, more often than recommended ...

Chain's range from 30 bucks and up to 200 bucks - There's O-ring and X-Ring, they claim X-ring will out last the o-ring models and there's a lot less resistance to the chain, making a more efficient and stronger chain - faster , less maintenance (not sure if that's true?)

I found this on Amazon, it's the X-type and price is in the mid range - Chain tool kit as well

so many brands and specs to choose from

If anyone finds a skeletonized front sprocket guard , for the FTR - Please let me know!!!!

Thanks...............

I wouldn't want pants or laces to get caught at any speed (pic from FTR Forum - Chain Guard removed)

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
stock chain is a DID too afaik. Doesn’t look sexy without any gold coating, but does the job well.

It is not a cheap, bad quality one.

China model means it’s for the Chinese market FTR1200, which has a 43T rear sprocket instead of 49, thus requiring a shorter chain.

DID are made in Japan.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stock chain is a DID too afaik. Doesn’t look sexy without any gold coating, but does the job well.

It is not a cheap, bad quality one.

China model means it’s for the Chinese market FTR1200, which has a 43T rear sprocket instead of 49, thus requiring a shorter chain.

DID are made in Japan.
I'm not sure either- there's no markings at all, but sure likes to rust.......

Indian Parts Nation USA (so if it's meant for the Chinese market- why is this blank no name chain being offered in the USA?)

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
I always knew my dyslexia would come in handy...able to read upside down no problema...I have about 9,300 miles on the stock setup and it's holding up well. Use Motul and keep the adjustment at 37 mm.

·
Bronze member
2,552 Posts
It’s a standard non coated DID oring chain, it’s rusty because some one didn’t take care of it and keep it cleaned and coated with lube.

Nothing cheap about it.

Also the China market only chain is because the China bikes have a 43t Sprocket not a 49t, so the length is different. Only difference

I switched to a DID ZVMX chain, only because I wanted a gold one.

And my “unsafe” lack of a chain guard still hasn’t been an issue :)

Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Auto part Motorcycle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,552 Posts
If you have a 2019 then it’s a 116. If you have a 22 then it’s 114.

And 525, same as Oem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts