Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only negative in the FTR design was a lack of storage. Looking at everything I could find, I didn’t see a solution for what I wanted. I just wanted an easy to access, lockable storage compartment that could hold my registration and insurance, plus maybe a cable lock and a couple of emergency fuses. Not a tank bag, rear seat bag or a messenger bag on a rack. So, I came up with a design that could be used as a base for really anything I wanted.

The rear grab bars and the accessory mounting holes are already drilled and tapped. They are also perfectly symmetrical, side to side. Utilizing them, I designed a three-point mounted plate that almost anything could be bolted to or that would support anything that would be draped over them, such as saddle bags.

Here is the bottom support. It is made from a 3 inch wide, 1/4 inch thick plate. The two top holes are the mounting holes for the FTR bottom accessory mounting holes. The top is contoured to provide the most possible support to the plate. Although the plate is drilled to lighten it and for aesthetics, only the bottom-most hole is used to get the strongest triangulation. Once this is bolted up, it is extremely strong and rigid. I don’t know what it would take to move it, but I can’t conceive of anything involving a motorcycle that could do it.

Being symmetrical, I could bolt material together and make plates for the left and right at the same time.

Here is the plate bolted up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wanted the mounting plates to be substantial so they are made of 0.190 inch aluminum. I sized them at 6 inches by 7 inches. I felt that this was the best size for what I wanted. After doing more research, I decided to have the top of the plate align with a line on the FTR and made the mounting holes accordingly.

In order to recess the screw heads, I welded tabs on the back and drilled larger holes for the screw heads. I drilled a pattern of mounting holes throughout the plates so they are available for most anything I would want to mount.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made the spacers to bring out the plate even with the edge of the frame. I degreased everything, went over everything and then painted a semi-flat black.

Side views

Plate comes out to edge of frame
Spacers available for tie-downs

Plates will hold luggage off of tire

I have some numbers coming because the first thing that I am going to mount will be number plates. I have some ammo cans, so that will be something I will try to see how they work. Larger bags, etc., will have to wait until I need them. Still trying to think of what I could put on that is every-day practical and lockable.

Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had a couple of cheap plastic ammo cans, so I thought I would give them a try. So easy to mount -- drill a few holes and bolt them up. These were just for testing, so I didn't put locks on them. They are plastic anyway, so any locks wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'm thinking that steel Army ammo cans with the painted stencils would look pretty cool. There are many different sizes, so I just need to figure what would look best. Many different ways to lock them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only negative in the FTR design was a lack of storage. Looking at everything I could find, I didn’t see a solution for what I wanted. I just wanted an easy to access, lockable storage compartment that could hold my registration and insurance, plus maybe a cable lock and a couple of emergency fuses. Not a tank bag, rear seat bag or a messenger bag on a rack. So, I came up with a design that could be used as a base for really anything I wanted.

The rear grab bars and the accessory mounting holes are already drilled and tapped. They are also perfectly symmetrical, side to side. Utilizing them, I designed a three-point mounted plate that almost anything could be bolted to or that would support anything that would be draped over them, such as saddle bags.

Here is the bottom support. It is made from a 3 inch wide, 1/4 inch thick plate. The two top holes are the mounting holes for the FTR bottom accessory mounting holes. The top is contoured to provide the most possible support to the plate. Although the plate is drilled to lighten it and for aesthetics, only the bottom-most hole is used to get the strongest triangulation. Once this is bolted up, it is extremely strong and rigid. I don’t know what it would take to move it, but I can’t conceive of anything involving a motorcycle that could do it.

View attachment 602844
Being symmetrical, I could bolt material together and make plates for the left and right at the same time.

View attachment 602845
Here is the plate bolted up.
For sale? Any time soon? I bet these would sell nicely if price was right.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As with any custom, the time alone to make a set would be prohibitive as far as cost. I think I did enough detail that someone with the skills could duplicate them.

But, if anyone could find a manufacturer that would make these, I would let them use mine for a pattern.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How have your pipes not changed color??? Do you ride it?
Too busy, starting a new branch at my company. Less than 500 miles. Hope to ride more when I get more time and the weather doesn't reach 100 here in Las Vegas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts