Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only that thinks the kickstand is TOO long on the FTR? It sits almost straight up, at least mine does. Is there a way to fix this other than removing it and having it shortened? Wanted to ask in the event someone else had this issue! Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
497 Posts
Coming from a short and stubby HD Iron, I too was nervous about the kickstand. I've come to trust it but still developed a nervous habit (that's resulted in scratches to my garage floor) of pulling the bike towards me and kicking the kickstand forward to make sure its fully deployed and all the weight is indeed leaning on it. I'm sure its completely unnecessary but I can see where the worry comes from, especially if you're already parked on a gradient which results in the bike is standing up more than normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have a Yamaha MT09 and it doesn’t lean over nowhere near as much as the Yamaha does and sits up way more than ANY bike I have owned.

·
Bronze member
2,247 Posts
Leans the same as my fz1s and cbr.

Don’t worry about it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen some one say their bike fell opposite of the kick stand. I’ve had mine for a year. No close calls parking it on hills

Is yours lowered? Or preload set at the min?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
776 Posts
Can’t say I’ve been overly worried about it....seems fine...👍😎🇦🇺

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Coming from a short and stubby HD Iron, I too was nervous about the kickstand. I've come to trust it but still developed a nervous habit (that's resulted in scratches to my garage floor) of pulling the bike towards me and kicking the kickstand forward to make sure its fully deployed and all the weight is indeed leaning on it. I'm sure its completely unnecessary but I can see where the worry comes from, especially if you're already parked on a gradient which results in the bike is standing up more than normal.
I do this with every single bike. I flip it down, keep foot behind it, and my dismount pulls bike back to insure it's completely down...

You can imagine why I started doing that as a habit.....

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
The talk about pre-load, while factually accurate,,, doesn't that elude to confirm the stand might be to long? I mean. if you can adjust to the factory suspension to a point the kick stand gets "iffy" is kind of the proof in the pudding?
While I've never worried about the FTR, it's also true I've never had to worry about suspension settings (not modifying) putting the bike's ability to stay up right in jeopardy..

IDK. That's where the logic in my head goes....

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
497 Posts
I do this with every single bike. I flip it down, keep foot behind it, and my dismount pulls bike back to insure it's completely down...

You can imagine why I started doing that as a habit.....
Glad I'm not the only one with this habit haha

·
Registered
42 Posts
Really wish the FTR had a center stand on it. I've missed those ever since I had one on my old beamer F800R. I know it would add weight, but at least it would be functional weight unlike the license plate holder :censored:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts