Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know how many people buy the FTR for night riding. But last night I rode for the first time at night. I can tell you the stock LED headlight is top notch, probably the best OEM headlight I’ve ever experienced.
On our Thunderstroke bikes we have replaced the headlights with the JW Speaker Adaptive lights. While not quite to the level of the JWS lights the FTR headlight is itself quite exceptional.

·
Registered
399 Posts
While riding at night, I constantly get "flashed" by oncoming drivers who think I have my high beams on. If they thought that was bright, I wonder what they think when I flash my high beam back...

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought the FTR to commute on during the week and ride for fun on the weekend. In the winter, I ride after dark almost every day. The headlight is very good. I did have to re-aim it after setting the suspension sag for my weight.

I added two Baja Designs Squadron lights after seeing the post by @Dieseldoc. They add light close in and flood the turns. Here is a link to the post I did. One thing I did after the post was to connect the relay to the "Heated Grip" connector behind the headlight. That way they turn off with the key. I was worried that I would forget to turn them off and come back to a dead battery.

Baja Designs Squadron Lights

·
Rider
1,167 Posts
J W Speaker have their fingers in many pies. Their lights are often rebranded for other makes of vehicles. For example the Daymakers for Harley-Davidsons are actually made by JWS. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a hand in the OEM FTR headlight too?

·
Bronze member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
J W Speaker have their fingers in many pies. Their lights are often rebranded for other makes of vehicles. For example the Daymakers for Harley-Davidsons are actually made by JWS. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a hand in the OEM FTR headlight too?
My thought exactly, I know they make the lights Polaris uses on the their line of UTVs. My buddy is an engineer at JW Speaker. I was going to ask him next time I see him.

·
Bronze member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just talked to my buddy at JW Speaker and he said the OEM FTR headlight is not manufactured by JW Speaker.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have to get out at night just to check the FTR's lighting, as I do not routinely ride at night.

My 'busa has decent lighting, high beam in particular is very good. Not LED.

My '83 GS1100E had an H4 quartz iodine bulb in an eight inch headlight, state of the art at the time...just not as focused as modern lighting. The headlight lensing is the key.

·
Bronze member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to get out at night just to check the FTR's lighting, as I do not routinely ride at night.

My 'busa has decent lighting, high beam in particular is very good. Not LED.

My '83 GS1100E had an H4 quartz iodine bulb in an eight inch headlight, state of the art at the time...just not as focused as modern lighting. The headlight lensing is the key.
Correct on the lenses but the direct LED lights like the FTR headlight and JW Speaker lights on our other two Indians offer far greater output vs. the LED reflector design that Indian uses on the Pathfinder lights.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Correct on the lenses but the direct LED lights like the FTR headlight and JW Speaker lights on our other two Indians offer far greater output vs. the LED reflector design that Indian uses on the Pathfinder lights.
OK, now I'm into seeing what they can do...as my 'busa high beam impressed the hell out of me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts