Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says my gas cap is stuck and won’t allow the key to twist to unlock.. luckily had enough fuel to get home on the low light.

Has anyone else had this issue? This has been the first time that it just would not open at all..

EDIT: as Max suggested, WD40 got that sucker unlocked in an instant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Never had that happen. When I operate my gas cap, it never feels likely to get stuck. Is it your key that's not fully engaged in the lock? Does your 2nd key feel any different?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never had that happen. When I operate my gas cap, it never feels likely to get stuck. Is it your key that's not fully engaged in the lock? Does your 2nd key feel any different?
Tried the other key when I got back with the same result. Goes and lock doesn’t spin. Noticed that I torqued my main key slightly as well when comparing and making sure both worked in the ignition which sucks.

Mine is always felt like the locking mechanism was dragging on whatever it latches on to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wow... not sure. Maybe a piece of dirt or grit fell into the key slot and is messing the with the pins in the lock tumbler. Try working the key in and out a few times to see if you can dislodge anything that may have gotten trapped in there. It's gonna be a tough one to fix if that doesn't do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine has always been very hard to turn the key.Tried lubing the internal parts and no better.What has worked is pushing down hard while giving the cap a twisting back and forth in it's slot with one hand while turning the key with the other.Am so looking forward to a quality co coming out with a non keyed cap.
That's what I usually do when I go get gas, push down on the cap while turning the key and all is well. Today absolutely nothing would work. I agree on wanting an aftermarket or even an OEM solution that doesn't have a key.

Spray some WD40 in it
Just did this a couple minutes ago after talking to a riding buddy that's an auto mechanic. One spray and working the key in and out made that sucker unlock so quick.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When new, mine was so hard to unlock I thought I would bend the key. It slowly got better as time went by, but it is still rather grabby and hard to turn.

Tried the WD 40 today. Didn't seem to help much, but maybe a little time will have the WD seep in and things will improve.

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
Take the gas cap out, and then spray WD40 on a shop rag. Take the rag and squeeze it into the two catch tangs on the underside of the cap. Then manipulate the lock back and forth. You want oil to get into the movable parts without overdoing it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Take the gas cap out, and then spray WD40 on a shop rag. Take the rag and squeeze it into the two catch tangs on the underside of the cap. Then manipulate the lock back and forth. You want oil to get into the movable parts without overdoing it.
Hey guys any locksmith here worth his weight will tell you never to use WD40 in a lock. WD40 will attract dirt and grime and after a while it will be worse. There is a product here that I’ve used for eons called INOX. It’s totally inert. Can be used on any electrical, mechanical or moving part. Will unseize shit, lube shit and generally fix most situations. It’s worth the trouble looking for it in your auto places or bearing shops. They make a multitude of different sprays, even a lanolin based spray. I’ll post a pic shortly. 👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yeah the kosher thing well these days even bloody chocolate has gone that way. But honestly if you can get it, do it. It’s brilliant. 👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys any locksmith here worth his weight will tell you never to use WD40 in a lock. WD40 will attract dirt and grime and after a while it will be worse. There is a product here that I’ve used for eons called INOX. It’s totally inert. Can be used on any electrical, mechanical or moving part. Will unseize shit, lube shit and generally fix most situations. It’s worth the trouble looking for it in your auto places or bearing shops. They make a multitude of different sprays, even a lanolin based spray. I’ll post a pic shortly. 👍😎🇦🇺
Good to know, may check the local Ace or Autozone for some next time I'm in town.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts