Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

FTR Emissions by-pass

8K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  R. Warshawsky 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Stalling at cold starts - circuit breakers didn't help - so I started to focus on the emissions - thought I'd by pass the canister and leave the tank breathers at atmospheric pressure to avoid vapor locks during cold starting - didn't want to void warranty, leave purge valve working normally - it looked easy in Manuel (but not) - breather hoses on tank are hard molded plastic tubes and getting to purge valve and canister not so easy peasy - solution, disconnect tank breather hoses and plug them up good - next run automotive flexible rubber hoses from tank vent to the bottom- emissions system still installed, warranty not voided, seems to behave itself during cold start up - besides, even California has done away with motorcycle emissions - hell, Texas doesn't even have a decibel standard for exhaust
When I pass the 2 year mark, I'll do a more permanent - better job

#10 ·
My mistake but easily missed, mine is there gloss black but no labelling as the one depicted below. Picture paints a thousand words. California and Euro only have it supposedly?

Certain regions don't have them, Oklahoma for example. Pictures from this very forum.

Thread here: FTR Fuel Evaporative Canister

#12 · (Edited)
Here we go:

• Pry/pull the three hoses off the canister.
  • Remove the canister.
  • Completely remove the blue hose, it's just a vent for the canister.
  • Block the yellow one between the canister (6) and purge valve (3), this one must be closed.
  • Block the black hose that ran to the canister at the T-type connector you'll find roughly where the blue hose crosses the black one AND open or remove the cap below/under the engine next to the regulator (make sure this hose is open somewhere, this is the tank ventilation! Ideally as low as possible)
Done.

I have yet to test ride it, but so far no check engine lights or fault codes...

#17 ·
Even with a good tune there's hardly any extra ponies to be had worth talking about. Talking of 'torque' your curve and delivery will however be greatly smoothed out hopefully? I have had the cat deleted since day one and by complimenting it with a K&N filter you get a discernible growl from both front and rear ends.

#20 ·
Is anyone please able to confirm? With the evap system and canister removed does this improve the prolonged refueling process at all? My dealer seems to think it might? Thank you.

#28 ·
Thanks Max. Plan cancelled. Would have deleted the system it if it did. Thought it may have eased the venting?

#26 ·
I hold the nozzle about halfway down the filler neck, hold the vapor sleeve up and fill slowly at a constant rate. I’ve tried a few other methods, but nothing results in faster or easier fueling as of yet. Kinda sucks I can’t just stick the nozzle in and refuel normally, but......

How do I like my own post? I don’t see a button to do that under my post?

P.S. Thanks for the info on canister removal! Came in handy during my header install!

#33 ·
Okay, after the posts I deleted the evap system, and filed a dry tank using temp controlled gas. Measured the max rate. Reinstalled the evap, measured the max flow rate with same temp gas. Repeated the process. Did this x3, each time getting the same results. Utilized a computer modeling program, stochastic functions, and concluded the difference corresponded to the amount of background radiation from the big bang...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.