Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noticed I was a little low on the coolant sight glass (as far as I could tell) took the air box off and added to what looked about half way on the sight window, took a ride and I can’t see any fluid in the sight window.
Does anybody have any tips with adding the proper amount of coolant .

Thanks

·
Bronze member
1,769 Posts
Are you checking it while it’s standing up? It’s really hard to see in the window. If you’re checking it while on the stand then it’s over full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you checking it while it’s standing up? It’s really hard to see in the window. If you’re checking it while on the stand then it’s over full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did have somebody stand it up and still could not tell for sure ..still looked low and nothing came out of the overflow tube ..but it would be easy to miss if it was full. I was wondering if it has some air in the system or if I just need to pull the air box off and look.

·
Silver member
4,830 Posts
Best check is the radiator imho, it that one is full you should be good. Coolant should only flow into the reservoir if the bike gets too hot, right? (And suck it back in on cool down)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best check is the radiator imho, it that one is full you should be good. Coolant should only flow into the reservoir if the bike gets too hot, right? (And suck it back in on cool down)
Thanks ,your right that’s a good idea .

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you hold a very powerful LED mini light up under the tank (below the tank panel) it will illuminate the inside of the tank and you will be able to view the fluid level much better. It doesn't help that the fluid Indian uses is a very light color, kind of a yellow. My Scout was hard to read also and that's where I learned the light trick. Also, when I changed fluid in my Scout I used a BMW motorcycle coolant that was a dark green and very easy to see through the tank (definitely a better mouse trap).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you hold a very powerful LED mini light up under the tank (below the tank panel) it will illuminate the inside of the tank and you will be able to view the fluid level much better. It doesn't help that the fluid Indian uses is a very light color, kind of a yellow. My Scout was hard to read also and that's where I learned the light trick. Also, when I changed fluid in my Scout I used a BMW motorcycle coolant that was a dark green and very easy to see through the tank (definitely a better mouse trap).
Thanks ,good idea

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you mix colours? I have an FTR1200s with as you say a yellowish colour I have some motul red organic and I need to top up is it possible to mix or will that damage the engine re gelling up?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes. I just bought a small bottle of Indian coolant from the dealer. It’s $9.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes. I just bought a small bottle of Indian coolant from the dealer. It’s $9.
The problem is I’m in France and the dealer is not fluent in English. And dealers over here are like small workshops! Any idea where I could get the correct stuff online? I’ve already done the first service myself as it was way easier than getting them do try to do it. I tried to book a first service and they quote me six weeks before they could do it!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I checked eBay. There are a couple listings with “free shipping”, not sure if that covers international shipping too though.

Edit: looks like both the links I posted ship internationally too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Since this is a recovery canister, are you supposed to be checking it while the bike is cold or hot? I know on the scout, its supposed to be cold and there's a mark for cold/full, but I can't make out anything on the FTR without taking the airbox cover off. Doesn't say in the manual either.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Has a min and max mark man. As long as it’s in between those marks cold you should be right...👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
23 Posts
Others have suggested using a LED light shining behind it to see the level more clearly. I tried that and failed. I have just whipped off my cover to have a look-see and it needed a top-up for the second time in 2000 kM.

You have to take the airbox cover off to add more fluid. So it would pay to have some mixed up before you look.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If the coolant level is at or over max, it is difficult to see. Good LED flashlight is very helpful.

With that being said, my coolant hasn't been checked in a year, maybe 4k miles.

I constantly monitor my gauges, if it starts to get low, I'll see it in operation temp. It would be checked prior to a lengthy tour.

·
Rider
962 Posts
Others have suggested using a LED light shining behind it to see the level more clearly. I tried that and failed. I have just whipped off my cover to have a look-see and it needed a top-up for the second time in 2000 kM.

You have to take the airbox cover off to add more fluid. So it would pay to have some mixed up before you look.
I found that putting the bike on the rear stand, shining the light underneath, then jiggling the bars, made the fluid bounce around enough to see the level it was at.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts