Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone found any decent Metal plug with o-ring that fit the FTR? instead of that cheap ass plastic one that comes with the bike - it's not going to last

·
Registered
425 Posts
R&G makes a very nice oil filler plug that fits the FTR. Nice anodized aluminum, comes in multiple colors, goes on with an Allen wrench. Comes with an "O" ring, but I chose to use the one off of the original plug for a tighter fit....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s an oil filler plug...
Yes it is just a plug (a cheap ass piece of plastic) – that’s so light, a small breeze will carry it away - Just a plug that when you snug it up cold and run it for a week and you notice it lose and say – hey, I snugged this shit up a week ago………… one of these days you’re going to look down and see a hole and your low on oil – So Yeah, it’s just a Plug

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
R&G makes a very nice oil filler plug that fits the FTR. Nice anodized aluminum, comes in multiple colors, goes on with an Allen wrench. Comes with an "O" ring, but I chose to use the one off of the original plug for a tighter fit....

Thanks I found them---- The size is M22 / Pitch 1.5........those aluminum are nice but $$$ (wire tie and o-ring (y)) - I also found a Plain Jane one, $12.30 solid Stainless Steel at Grainger

(M22 x 1-1/2" Hollow Hex Plug with Metric Fitting Connection)

comes with gasket -
  • Item # 39A346
  • Mfr. Model # VSTI22X1.5EDCF
  • Catalog Page # N/A
  • UNSPSC # 40142313
Also Sato Racing has them same size M22 /p 1.5 for Ducati's

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Yes it is just a plug (a cheap ass piece of plastic) – that’s so light, a small breeze will carry it away - Just a plug that when you snug it up cold and run it for a week and you notice it lose and say – hey, I snugged this shit up a week ago………… one of these days you’re going to look down and see a hole and your low on oil – So Yeah, it’s just a Plug
I got no idea what your previous bikes were. I’ve been having these plastic ones over 30 years on various bikes and never had a problem with them...

Then again, you do you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lot's of bikes come with cheap plastic plugs (not all bikes) the plastic does work itself loose (hot engine- high speed) there is a possibility of the plug falling out (some even have a hole for a wire to prevent it from turning) I found a clip on youtube I don't know how he ride? and I don't know how you ride? nor do I really care...... I don't want to get stranded ( a plug is cheaper than a tow truck any freaking day) - you'd have to agree on that one at least

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Buy a plug. Rizoma, R&G, or drill the stock one and safety wire it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The only plug that ever leaked on all my bikes was an aftermarket Wunderlich plug for my R1100GS...

(oh and I ride like twat. I never go fast, I never rev high. Serious, there’s “evidence“ about everything on YouTube)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not from Youtube; Ducati - Triumph - Harley - Honda - BMW, Forums................

I think the $12.30 from Granger is good enough for me - don't need the wire - a paint pen torque mark is good enough - at least now I know the right size (M22/P1.5), and am better schooled (positive/negative feedback) it's all good

How normal is it for an oil filler cap to come off?
  • Someone else did the servicing - Not properly tighten
  • Stock plastic caps – dirt bikes, Scramblers and high performance street bike’s are more prone for losing caps (Ducati’s #1)
  • Over looked during pre riding inspection
How important is the filler cap?
Keeps Debris out and oil in – but most important, keeps water and Humidity out – a plastic oil cap without an o-ring will allow the engine's evaporative system to suck unfiltered humid air directly into the engine crankcase during shut down / engine cool down – a surefire costly mistake in the long run.
Plastic Filler Caps are not 100% air tight

·
Bronze member
2,309 Posts
I’ll agree about the looks. But as far as a fail point? Really? All my two stroke bikes always had plastic ones. Nothing vibrates more than that and I never once had one come loose.

Every single car and truck made comes with a plastic one, as does jusy about every motorcycle unless it’s just an upgrade for a bling factor. And a lot of the “metal” ones you see on cruisers, are actually plastic ones with a metal cover over them.

And yes they all have orings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope Sorry No O-ring on the FTR #20 - plastic cap is $5.49 OEM Part - NAPA also has a $5. all metal cap size M22X 1.5 - should the old one be misplaced - lost - falls off - or dog ate it..... as a temporary or just to toss in your tool bag - don't use vented caps, the pressure in the crankcase helps the oil pump #33 distribute the oil easier throughout the engine (metal cap and o-ring, a better option) - most bikes come with plastic caps, it's up to you if you want to up grade - better safe than sorry, but then again - your choice

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
R&G racing - 12 Euros - $14 USD (has O-ring) lot's of colors - aluminum
USA Sato Racing - Ducati and FTR's $38 (to much for me) wire tie holes
Ducati racing cap fit's FTR's $63!!!! (way too much)

- Grainger for me............$12 stainless steel Hex with gasket

·
Bronze member
2,309 Posts
Did you pull your cap? I could have sworn there is a oring. Even if there isn’t it’s still a non issue. Your crank case isn’t sealed.

And does your Allen key fit your new granger cap? What if you need to add oil during a long trip?

I have this one, simply because it looks neat

PSR Powerstands Oil Filler Cap Kit M22 x 1.5 Gun Metal Ducati 00-01312-29 | eBay

·
Bronze member
2,309 Posts
It does. Op never pulled his cap before making assumptions. The oring is part of the cap in the Indian parts breakdown.

I
IMG_9322.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I check out a friends FTR (s)- his had an O-ring, mine didn't, base model- no wonder it was loosening up all the time - it was never installed at the factory - so your right, it is safe to say they do - except if someone down the line forgot? - I'll let the dealer know - Thanks again (live and learn)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts