Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question
When filling her up at the pump I've had to stop and go a lot which makes the process take a lot longer than it needs to be, anybody else noticed this or know how to make refueling go over a bit smoother?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah have to do the same thing, the tube going to the tank seems to be pretty small and restricts the flow. Not sure there's anything we can do about that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It is what it is. If you lift the seat off it becomes clear why this is the case, the section between the underseat and forward sections of the tank is quite narrow and low, it takes time to displace the air from it.
I've found this and the many people who want to talk to me about the bike mean I spend a lot more time at petrol stations these days?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I found that it goes smoother when the bike is leaning on the kickstand and with me off the bike. Still annoying though
fuel stations down under won't let you fill sitting on it so not as big a deal for me.
plus my other bike also has an air lock issue when filling so i'm used to filling slowly.
my boyfriend said to me 'what is it with you and bikes that are impossible to fill' lol

·
Rider
1,268 Posts
Quick question
When filling her up at the pump I've had to stop and go a lot which makes the process take a lot longer than it needs to be, anybody else noticed this or know how to make refueling go over a bit smoother?
I found sitting on the bike upright and going slow until it reaches bottom of the fill tube, rock back and forth a few times, pick the bike up and pat the 'tank" until the air is burped our, buy a newspaper, read the editorials, then add more fuel, rock the bike some more, grab a cup of coffee.....

·
Rider
1,281 Posts
I don't faff about at the pumps but do at home. I used to have a bike that only had a range of 65-70 miles which was quite irksome. I then got into the habit of fuelling at home from a 20 litre fuel can. That way on leaving home I was full up to the gunnels and refuelled once again up to the gunnels before laying the bike away. I still do this on the FTR, that way when I leave home I know I have at least 100 miles of pure enjoyment before the annoying interlude.

Reactions: R. Warshawsky

·
Registered
231 Posts
Same here. I keep three 5 gallon cans in the garage and fill them on the weekend when I’m riding the dirt bike.

I've found that just barely cracking the vent slows the flow enough that it fills fairly easily.

Luckily I’m usually doing less than 120 miles per day commuting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,268 Posts
fuel stations down under won't let you fill sitting on it so not as big a deal for me.
plus my other bike also has an air lock issue when filling so i'm used to filling slowly.
my boyfriend said to me 'what is it with you and bikes that are impossible to fill' lol
Tell him "you can't rush genius..."

·
Rider
1,268 Posts
I don't faff about at the pumps but do at home. I used to have a bike that only had a range of 65-70 miles which was quite irksome. I then got into the habit of fuelling at home from a 20 litre fuel can. That way on leaving home I was full up to the gunnels and refuelled once again up to the gunnels before laying the bike away. I still do this on the FTR, that way when I leave home I know I have at least 100 miles of pure enjoyment before the annoying interlude.
You just gotta love the King's...I looked up "gunnels" and got " an elongated laterally compressed fish with a dorsal fin that runs along most of the back and reduced or absent pelvic fins. It occurs in cool inshore waters of the northern hemisphere."

Then I looked up "gunwhale" which the plural is gunnels, and voila!, It's "the upper edge of the side of a boat or ship." This makes perfect sense.

You just gotta love the King's English...

·
Rider
1,281 Posts
Ha ha! Hi R Warshawski after leaving the Air Force I went into the Merchant Navy for 7 years and it did take me a while to adapt to the maritime terminology. As an ex Air Force in the Navy I got my fair share of mickey taking. I worked on 86 metre high speed catamarans capable of doing over 40 knotts with 175 cars and over 700 passengers onboard. I used to say to my work colleagues "This boat is just a floating aeroplane to me!" In this case it's an either/or scenario. 'Gunwhale' the alternative also does not contain an 'h.'

·
Rider
1,268 Posts
K9F, my man! To paraphrase Mr. Cash, "you've been everywhere, man, you've been everywhere.." You have enjoyed one helluva career, my friend. I gassed up yesterday and had to channel your patience. I rocked the bike, sang to it, patted the air out, uttered zen koans, and was finally able to put in not quite 2.9 gallons, even though the low fuel light had already come on. At least I can now get over 40 mpg.

·
Rider
1,281 Posts
Hi R Warshawsky, On my last ride out my low light came on and I was about 9 miles from home, but there were loads of petrol stations en-route. I decided to take my chances and made it home with an impressive 122 miles on the tripometer. Most I ever got and I pushed it too on the ride out. I won't tell you what it was in gallons to fill as our Imperial Gallons are larger and you would be disappointed in the figure.

Off Topic but worthy of mention with regards to helluva career.

I have enjoyed my career choices immensely and after divorce in 2003 I met a Communications Technician in the Royal Air Force (female I hasten to add in this modern World of ours) on TDY in Turkey and we have been together ever since and we have a 13 year old daughter Ruby who is battling with a hormonal riot going on in her body at the moment. My partner and I are both quite competitive and we were both due to leave the Royal Air Force together three weeks apart end of 2010. We both had 5 Campaign Medals each. Rumour has it that I volunteered for a tour in Afghanistan to get an extra medal before I left. I'm staying 'schtum.' Nevertheless she still brings it up often!

I have several school friends in my home town that I have known since we were 5 years old. I love them to bits but they have lived their lives like Hobbits very rarely venturing out of the Shire. Some of them haven't even visited some of the local places in my county where I ride out to, Tyneham Village for example. In comparison I have travelled the World had some great times and met some fantastic people and been to places where they are expected to scratch a living out of the dirt and the value of life costs less than a loaf of bread. People moan about politics and conditions where they live, I am not one of them! Life may have it's foibles and little dips and high peaks but am thankful I live in a civilised society (as do you Rob). I had some of my best times in the USA.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts