Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like I need another motorcycle......which I do.

I have been following the new FTR 1200 Rally bike and really like what I am seeing. First off, I know it is Not a dirtbike but I really like the styling. I put together a list of options I wanted and submitted it a couple of stealers in my local area. Most do not really know a lot about the new Rally model. The build sheet I submitted has had few returns for a build quote with an out-the-door price.

Wichita stealer vaguely sent back a very soft price if $17k+ after having to break it down for him "barney" style....wow!

There are a couple of nice youtube reviews out there on the ride and performance.

2020 Indian FTR Rally Spec
PRICE $13,499 US / $16,499 CAN
ENGINE 1,203cc, DOHC, 60-degree V-twin; 4 valves/cyl.
BORE X STROKE 102.0 x 73.6mm
COMPRESSION RATIO 12.5:1
FUEL DELIVERY Closed-loop fuel injection
CLUTCH Constant mesh/multiplate slip and assist clutch
TRANSMISSION/FINAL DRIVE 6-speed/chain
CLAIMED HORSEPOWER 123 hp @ 8,250 rpm
CLAIMED TORQUE 87 lb.-ft. @ 5,900 rpm
FRONT SUSPENSION 43mm fully adjustable inverted cartridge fork; 5.9-in. travel
REAR SUSPENSION Monotube IFP; 5.9-in. travel
FRONT BRAKES 4-piston Brembo M4.32 calipers, dual 320mm
REAR BRAKE 2-piston Brembo P34 caliper, 260mm
TIRES, FRONT/REAR Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR; 120/70R-19 / 150/70R-18
RAKE/TRAIL 26.3°/5.1 in.
WHEELBASE 60.0 in.
SEAT HEIGHT 33.6 in.
CLAIMED DRY WEIGHT 511 lb.
GROUND CLEARANCE 7.2 in.
FUEL CAPACITY 3.4 gal.

Stock Photo:

Below is from my build sheet with what I wanted and the color. I added the following options.

Model Selected: N20RTT22A9

Additional Accessories:
2883500-FBA K-SIDEBAG MSGR BLK
2883501-581 K-FENNDER FRONT SLVR
2883502-581 K-FENDER REAR SLVR
2883506 K-WINDSCREEN MID
2883511 K-LUGGAGE RACK
2883516 K-SIDEBAG MOUNT
2883768 K-RADIATOR GUARD
2883842 K-BRKT REAR MOUNT
2884100 K-GRIPS PROTAPER
2884101 K-MOUNT PHONE RAM
2884143-1807 K-CVR AIRBOX PEARL WHT
2884156 K-TURN SIGNAL CLR

Other load out I like but $22,000+.....Jesus

·
Bronze member
2,076 Posts
For that price. Get a s model. And add the accessories. Since all the dealers had to buy that seat, wheels, and other things to hang on their walls. You can get a 2019 s for $1k off and then buy the accessories cheap. Since the dealerships don’t like to sit on inventory.

I got a tracker seat setup for cost since they wanted it off their floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,843 Posts
If you don't mind the analog speedometer the 2019 base model is priced down to $11,999. Leaves you a lot more money to accessorize with. You can put those Pirelli tires on it when the stock Dunlops wear out and run them tubeless on the stock rims. Tubeless is vastly better.

·
Rider
1,182 Posts
If you don't mind the analog speedometer the 2019 base model is priced down to $11,999. Leaves you a lot more money to accessorize with.......
Maybe so but it’s not simply the analogue speedo that get’s swapped out with the upgrade to the ‘S’ model and a price hike, bang for buck you get a lot more besides.

·
Rider
1,182 Posts
If I were planning all these accessories, I wouldn't even start with a Rally model...

(and although I have the Akras on my RR and I love them, I would never buy them separately: $$$)
As a footnote I wouldn't start with a Rally either, nevertheless not wanting an RR I did pay extra for the Akropovics for the simple reason the standard pipes at that time were not up to the capability of running without a catalytic convertor and other options were realistically non-existent. I have the Rally alloy radiator guards fitted to mine and have had them for quite some time. If the new Rally has other things colour co-ordinated with the guards all well and good, if not they look hideous IMHO as the colour is way off. Had to have mine toned down a little.

Reactions: Unruly One

·
Registered
417 Posts
As a footnote I wouldn't start with a Rally either, nevertheless not wanting an RR I did pay extra for the Akropovics for the simple reason the standard pipes at that time were not up to the capability of running without a catalytic convertor and other options were realistically non-existent. I have the Rally alloy radiator guards fitted to mine and have had them for quite some time. If the new Rally has other things colour co-ordinated with the guards all well and good, if not they look hideous IMHO as the colour is way off. Had to have mine toned down a little.

View attachment 580179
Radiator guards look fantastic.... Looks like you are running an R&G radiator guard.... How was that to install ????

·
Silver member
5,303 Posts
I did pay extra for the Akropovics for the simple reason the standard pipes at that time were not up to the capability of running without a catalytic convertor and other options were realistically non-existent.
Odd, if you meant it’s harder to pull the baffles out of the stock ones, I agree. But if removing the cat was your goal, any link pipe that fits the Akras fits the stock one also.

·
Rider
1,182 Posts
Hi Max, the link pipe wasn't the issue the design and thinness of the inner wall of the OEM exhaust cans were. The first generation of standard pipes where the exhaust hanger was attached to the upper pipe only spectacularly split due to the vibration and pulsing of the V-Twin on Colin Moore's own FTR from Moore Speed Racing. I know of one other incident where it split for the same reasons. They just weren't up to the job of running without a cat. The latter ones have a different design where the exhaust hanger bracket is attached by a plate to both upper and lower cans.

Hi Ultratoad, the fit of the stainless R & G radiator guard was not perfect, there was about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch gap at the bottom and a snug fit at the top. A little innovative 'fettling' was required. If you look closer at my photograph I had at home some 'extrusion.' Basically it was a rear door seal for a Land Rover Defender. I carefully cut two lengths, one for the top edge and one for the lower. This then pushed the upper edge out and drew the lower edge closer making it a perfect fit. I also have the stainless R & G oil cooler guard fitted but simply fitted it underneath the OEM one using slightly longer stainless bolts at the top to accommodate the two and cable ties at the bottom. The two longer bolts are just visible in the same picture.

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Silver member
5,303 Posts
Hi Max, the link pipe wasn't the issue the design and thinness of the inner wall of the OEM exhaust cans were. The first generation of standard pipes where the exhaust hanger was attached to the upper pipe only spectacularly split due to the vibration and pulsing of the V-Twin on Colin Moore's own FTR from Moore Speed Racing. I know of one other incident where it split for the same reasons. They just weren't up to the job of running without a cat. The latter ones have a different design where the exhaust hanger bracket is attached by a plate to both upper and lower cans.
Dam yeah (forgot that was issue)

·
Rider
1,182 Posts
(y)

Even the second generation of the black OEM pipes with the upgraded bracket are very thin walled not much better than rice paper IMHO as it doesn't take any effort to make it yield with your finger. I got a second generation set with my FTR but still decided to get shot for the Akropovics, whilst eye wateringly expensive they are of good quality. Even those with a RR paid something for the Akrapovics due to the much publicised price hike before the RRs hit the showrooms due to the switch to the Akrapovics. Needless to say I still paid more but with no regrets.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Hi Ultratoad, the fit of the stainless R & G radiator guard was not perfect, there was about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch gap at the bottom and a snug fit at the top. A little innovative 'fettling' was required. If you look closer at my photograph I had at home some 'extrusion.' Basically it was a rear door seal for a Land Rover Defender. I carefully cut two lengths, one for the top edge and one for the lower. This then pushed the upper edge out and drew the lower edge closer making it a perfect fit. I also have the stainless R & G oil cooler guard fitted but simply fitted it underneath the OEM one using slightly longer stainless bolts at the top to accommodate the two and cable ties at the bottom. The two longer bolts are just visible in the same picture.
Really appreciate you taking the time and providing excellent details....

·
Rider
1,182 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good information but the Rally Edition is pretty much what I am want and focuses on. I would have to dig in to the base features of the other bikes to see if they are the same

·
Bronze member
2,076 Posts
Good information but the Rally Edition is pretty much what I am want and focuses on. I would have to dig in to the base features of the other bikes to see if they are the same
The rally is literally a base model with accessories Indian already offers slapped onto it.

Other than the tank sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,203 Posts

View attachment 580179
Maybe they weren't out then, but several vendors now make excellent looking slip ons, including Remus, QD and others.

·
Rider
1,182 Posts
Hi Bob,

There are indeed some great pipes available. 'Time was of the essence' for me back in September and due to the delay of my model's arrival I only had two weeks to rack up 600 miles get it serviced and shoot off across Europe. Although it went against the grain being an engineer I got the dealership to fit all my extras including the decat link pipe, rack, bar end mirrors and indicators, rack, tail tidy and rear indicators before I took delivery. As it was one of the first to have such modifications he did the fitting for free. He even burnt the midnight oil to make sure it was ready as quick as possible staying late to finish it off. The Akrapovics were a compromise to sort a potential serious issue that I didn't want to take the chance happening to me on unrestricted roads where I would be riding at over 100mph for quite a while and in a foreign country to boot. Whilst being a compromise it is a happy one as I had carbon Akropovics on my KTM and they were of excellent quality and the ones I have now much sturdier than the rice paper walled OEM ones.

As a footnote I am really fortunate to have such a great dealer so near to me. Colin Moore even offered me the use of his very own FTR for the Germany trip in the event mine wasn't ready...….probably why he burnt the midnight oil completing it for me?

·
Rider
1,203 Posts
Mal, I think your bike turned out great, with a very consistent all around look. I like doing my own mods, as well, but it must have been nice to get all the items done ahead of time. I looked at the Akrapovics, and they are a quaity item for sure, but the price this side of the pond of almost 1,500 USD gave me too much heartburn. Plus, I wanted the replacements to be black. So, I am now going with the Remus slip-ons, retaining the cat, and then waiting for the "shelter in place" orders to be lifted so I can go out of my house for non-exempt purposes. And, on that latter note, I wish everyone good health and as much calm as can be had under our current circumstances. Wash your bike, wash your hands, lather, rinse and repeat...

Reactions: K9F

·
Rider
1,182 Posts
Just a whisker over $1000 the Akrapovics over here which makes them a bit more digestible. Also being made in Slovenia they don't have so far to come or be subjected to import taxes. I am partial to a bit of titanium here and there....knee, motorcycle.....😁

1 - 20 of 23 Posts