Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So Indian confirmed to me yesterday that they have a newer fuel map out for the FTR 1200, compared to what came stock with the bike upon release.

My dealer is currently closed till Monday so have not been able to contact them about it yet but will do so and strive to get it flashed ASAP. Has anyone had the new fuel map flashed and could comment on any improvements they saw?

I too am dealing with cold start stalling (guaranteed to stall once until it gets warm every time I start it), choppy throttle making it unpleasant to maintain steady speeds at 3-4k rpm and slightly delayed throttle response.

EDIT: to add that I've only had the bike for 2 weeks but these issues were quite noticeable for me and also why I haven't flashed a new map yet.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
462 Posts
The concensus seems to be the new tune is better, but still has its flaws. I believe all it does is raise the idle RPM slightly to prevent cold stalling.

Also, if you plan on getting an aftermarket tune, the tuning companies have yet to fully crack the new Indian code so the tunes they provide would be better if you keep the original FTR tune.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, I see, thanks for the replies. I was hoping to skip the 500 Euros the tuner costs as it's kinda steep for me right now, having just bought the bike. Was hoping the Indian mapping fixed more than just the idle stalling, which is no small thing as it seems to happen to me every time I start the bike in the mornings.

I have read generally positive results from PV3 tuning. You guys have personal experience with this? I wonder if I ordered it from a tune house in the US if they would ship to Europe. Will obviously have to check with them but was wondering.

I have also read that if you go in for a service, Indian dealers have to flash their own map for their tools to read the ECU and then you'd have to re-flash your PV3 map. That in itself is no big job as I understand but if they flash it with their new map, you're done? yikes

·
Registered
762 Posts
Keep the old map, buy a tuner and don’t let them touch it as far as the ECU is concerned...I totally agree with Mike and most others here that have gone through all this crap from the rubbish standard tune state...👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
353 Posts
Get with Fuelmoto,pretty sure I have seen posts from Europe by happy owners.If you have any issues just go thru their tune request form on the website and CraigB will get it working.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wrote this yesterday in another thread: I had a nice surprise a week after I got the dyno package, I had to pay 100€ on top of expensive shipping costs. Consider this.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Strange I have no problems , the first week a purchased the FTR it stalls maybe 10 times that's all ! Now I have 4200km . Mine is a base model made by Polaris Poland !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wrote this yesterday in another thread: I had a nice surprise a week after I got the dyno package, I had to pay 100€ on top of expensive shipping costs. Consider this.
Thank you for the info, I had not considered that. I imagine those are charges for it to clear customs as it's entering outside of the EU?

On another note, how are you liking the new tune? Did you order from FuelMoto as well? I've seen their name mentioned a few times. Searching for an EU store it seems dynojet have a UK store. Wonder if anyone's had any experience with their service.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thank you for the info, I had not considered that. I imagine those are charges for it to clear customs as it's entering outside of the EU?

On another note, how are you liking the new tune? Did you order from FuelMoto as well? I've seen their name mentioned a few times. Searching for an EU store it seems dynojet have a UK store. Wonder if anyone's had any experience with their service.
If you buy from dynojet you get just whatever canned tunes they have and that’s all you get. If you buy from fuelmoto they work with you and refine the tune to your liking til the bike runs the way you want it to.

Reactions: petros_pb

·
Rider
1,270 Posts
Some of us in the "loyal opposition" find the OEM update to be better than the stock tune in many respects, not just in cold starts. I've notice much better off idle response, especially in sport mode. The surging between 3,100-3,500 rpm is lessened and cruising at freeway speeds is smooth. I concur that if you are going with an aftermarket tune do not update to newer one from Indian.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some of us in the "loyal opposition" find the OEM update to be better than the stock tune in many respects, not just in cold starts. I've notice much better off idle response, especially in sport mode. The surging between 3,100-3,500 rpm is lessened and cruising at freeway speeds is smooth. I concur that if you are going with an aftermarket tune do not update to newer one from Indian.
Interesting, so based on your experience with the Indian fuel remap, you'd suggest going ahead with the update?

If the official Indian fuel remap does affect more than just the idle stalling, that is amazing news.

·
Rider
1,270 Posts
Interesting, so based on your experience with the Indian fuel remap, you'd suggest going ahead with the update?

If the official Indian fuel remap does affect more than just the idle stalling, that is amazing news.
The OEM update is not perfect but is satisfactory for me. Others found it, um, less than optimal. YMMV.

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
Just be aware if you ever want to tune your bike, the old software with a V5 tune is still the best and tuners are actually looking for a way to undo the Indian update...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just be aware if you ever want to tune your bike, the old software with a V5 tune is still the best and tuners are actually looking for a way to undo the Indian update...
From the differences referenced on the new software, it doesn't seem that only fuel and spark are updated. I would feel better with a tune designed to work with the new software. Waiting patiently for an announcement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From the differences referenced on the new software, it doesn't seem that only fuel and spark are updated. I would feel better with a tune designed to work with the new software. Waiting patiently for an announcement.
Is there anywhere I can read the details of the new software? (I assume we mean Indian's new fuel remap?)

·
Registered
55 Posts
any idea when this came out? i got my bike mid june and they updated it to the latest... am i screwed on getting a tune for it for now?

thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
any idea when this came out? i got my bike mid june and they updated it to the latest... am i screwed on getting a tune for it for now?

thanks!
They did not specify in their reply to me. I basically asked them if there is any update to the stock software and they came back to say that there is. They did not specify when it came out but in my case I'm almost certain it was never updated while sitting in the show room.

·
Bronze member
2,188 Posts
Most dealers won’t install the new software on the floor models. Unless the customer asks.

And you can email Ryan or fm and ask them the differences. But they will just tell you it’s a mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 74 Posts