Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my previous bike (MT09) I bought a Nelson Rigg CL-1060-S2 sport tail bag and The CL-890 sport saddlebags. I kept the tail bag on all the time and attached the saddlebags for overnight trips. Anyways, I figured theses bags would work fine on the FTR since the bike is bigger and the seat is bigger as well. The tailbag works fine I’m happy to report.

I tried fitting the saddlebags yesterday. I have the Race Replica with the stock Akra exhaust. With the straps adjusted correctly, the bottom of the right bag just touches the exhaust tip when loaded with items. If I adjust the straps to make the bags sit higher, that works, but the protective neoprene shield on the inside of the bags blocks me from attaching the tail bag on top. So it’s either one or the other. Ugh. I believe these saddlebags are the slimmest pair you can buy, so if these don’t work, then nothing else probably will without major modifications.

I leave for a road trip this Friday, so I guess I’m wearing a backpack (hate it). Anyone else have success with getting saddlebags to work with the stock Akra exhaust?

I’m aware of the various side bag options available, just trying to make use of what I have.

·
Registered
519 Posts
everything I've seen in terms of saddlebags for the ftr are that you can only have them on the left side due to the exhaust.

·
Registered
166 Posts
everything I've seen in terms of saddlebags for the ftr are that you can only have them on the left side due to the exhaust.
This is my understanding as well, though there was a member a few weeks ago who had posted about some mount brackets/racks that he had made for both sides. They looked like they would work with ammo can style saddlebags. I plan on just mounting the left side myself though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I never imagined riding my FTR with any kinda of bags other than a back pack occasionally. Seems like castrating a prize bull to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never imagined riding my FTR with any kinda of bags other than a back pack occasionally. Seems like castrating a prize bull to me.
A bit dramatic, but I understand. I just need storage for one or two 500 mile trips a year. Bags won’t stay on all the time other than the sport tailbag which I could not live without. I absolutely despise riding with a backpack and the FTR has ZERO STORAGE. I mean you can’t even store your registration and insurance card anywhere. Sort of ridiculous.

If you have other bikes to use for trips then that makes sense to never need storage on the FTR. Otherwise the FTR is so much more fun to ride around town and pick up small items from the store, etc. with a small tailbag on it. It hinders the prized bull Even more to have that extra weight strapped to my back vs the bike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Agreed. A bit over dramatic. But it's fun to sew some exuberant words on the internet from time to time.

For those who have no other motorcycle, and the passion to ride as the FTR intended, some storage can come in handy. IMO, a backpack is fine for occasional transport, but on mileage trips they can totally blow. I always loosen my shoulder straps till the weight of the backpack starts to hit the seat behind me so I'm not holding up everything myself. After a backpack, I would consider a tail bag. And beyond that, I would buy a different motorcycle.

·
Rider
968 Posts
Or you can add the luggage rack and get those "new vibrations"...lol

Reactions: edgelett

·
Registered
519 Posts
Or you can add the luggage rack and get those "new vibrations"...lol
I actually have one lol - just haven't used it yet.
we had a trip interstate planned this year and I was going to load it up then, but trip was cancelled due to COVID.
hopefully i get to experience the joy next year lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the factory side bag rack (P/N 2883516) plus the messenger sidebag with roll down top. Very happy with the combination.

Also purchased the factory rear luggage rack just after I purchased the bike, giving me plenty of options.

I won't ride with a backpack, so had to think of something better.

·
Rider
968 Posts
I actually have one lol - just haven't used it yet.
we had a trip interstate planned this year and I was going to load it up then, but trip was cancelled due to COVID.
hopefully i get to experience the joy next year lol
Once I figured out what was causing the vibrations I got used to it. With a Kriega 20l dry bag there is nothing to be concerned about. Btw, excellent video....

Reactions: edgelett

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use a Racepack from bags connection (or search for sw-motech). It sits perfect on the grab handle but would probably fit also without if you find some points to tow it to the seat.

IMG_3884.jpeg IMG_3883.jpeg IMG_3882.jpeg

The bag is packed for a weekend, but including towels, duvet covers and a concert sized ukulele :).

It has enough space for a 10-days trip.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Dude just get a bobber or something...luggage???...really...nah...back pack it bro...or get your misses to follow you in the car or something...😂👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I use a Racepack from bags connection (or search for sw-motech). It sits perfect on the grab handle but would probably fit also without if you find some points to tow it to the seat.

View attachment 606098 View attachment 606099 View attachment 606100

The bag is packed for a weekend, but including towels, duvet covers and a concert sized ukulele :).

It has enough space for a 10-days trip.
When I trade my beloved Scout for an FTR, storage will be a priority. I use my bike for traveling, errands....as much as possible.
I will probably duplicate the quick release mounts I made for my Scout. Bags pop off in literally seconds.

What I really want is a quick-release mount for my fiddle!

We often travel as a family with a uke or two.

Great ideas for FTR luggage. I have appreciated the thread.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts