Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

New FTR 1200 owner and new to the forums. I just purchased an FTR 1200S (RR) on Thursday, June 11. I've been following this bike for years and I am so happy to finally own one.

HOWEVER, I am seeing cold start problems as a common issue on these motorcycles. I am having this problem as well. The bike spits and sputters on a cold start-up, stalls, and throws cylinder misfire engine codes at me every start-up. The bike's dash notified me to contact my dealer, which I did, and they took it back to the shop and had the bike for 5 days to "fix" the problem. Over the phone, they told me the bike was running great — "no issues." Just got the bike back yesterday and it still has the issue and is throwing codes at me left and right. It didn't stall on the first start-up this morning, which is an improvement I guess, but both cylinder misfire codes popped up on the dash within the first minute of running the bike.

Does this happen on ALL FTR's? Is this something that, as an FTR owner, you just live with? It would give me peace of mind having some answers to that, because in my experience (24 years of riding, 14th motorcycle purchase), I have never owned a motorcycle that's done this, especially not brand new. It's to the point where it's a total deal breaker for me. Is there anything I can do to have the problem actually fixed? Do I really have to spend an extra $400-$500 to get the motorcycle tuned already?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I'm a bit cynical but I wonder if your dealer sat on the bike for 5 days, tried starting it once, didn't see a code and just called you.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised. The customer service has been rather questionable after they got me out the door after buying the bike. When I called for an update (4 days in), their lead mechanic told me "he's busy as hell and doesn't have time to talk to me."

Either way, your bike has the stalling issue but hasn't popped these codes since you've purchased?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I only have 700 something miles on mine. The only time it hasn't stalled when warming it up was the first day. However, I've never seen a code. It usually stalls once or twice with another "almost" sputter. Yesterday, like I said, was three times. I think these need a bit more fuel and/or revs when cold but the EPA and the FTR don't play well together.

I did just purchase a PV3 from Fuel Moto so I'm guessing my cold stalling issues should be gone going forward as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what would you guys consider to be my best course of action? Should I get a second opinion from another Indian dealer? Is it worth my time to try and just get a replacement? I can't imagine the resistance I'm going to get from the dealer based on my current experience, but I'm no stranger to that if need be. But after all was said and done – tax, title, license included – I was charged $17k for a broken motorcycle and that's just unacceptable to me.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
I was charged $17k for a broken motorcycle and that's just unacceptable to me.
Tell them exactly this. ^^ Insist!

(or get a PV-3 and a tune and odds are this is soon a thing of the past. Sorry, even a stock FTR without any fault codes runs like a sick puppy 😐 They surge, run rough, have a twitchy throttle response...)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I assume that the new ftr’s come with factory fuel map #2. I had the first version and it was awful for the scenario you described sans the codes. After having the dealer upgrade to version 2 they told me it would solve the cold stalling issue but I haven’t had a cold morning (below 50F) since to test it. I have heard that the bikes get better with more mileage also.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm guessing they are out there, but the only 2020 models that I've seen are the Rallys. Therefore, most of what is being purchased has probably been in inventory for a while (or at least left the factory a long time ago)... who knows what fuel map they have installed. You would think that the dealership would get them up to date before delivery, but who knows. I just bought mine three weeks ago, and it stalls when cold.

Speaking of 2020s and leftover 2019s, I'm guessing this has been due to a combination of a botched introduction timeline along with covid. However, I wouldn't be shocked at all based on how they are (not) selling, along with the seemingly almost permanent price concessions that the factory and dealerships are making to move leftovers, if Polaris cools off on the idea of continuing the FTR long term. It would be a damn shame, but still not surprising.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The guys at Fuel Moto sent me a map - idle was 1200~50 and stall - the new map they said was closed loop from o2 sensors to ECM - new idle was at 1600~50 till it hits 130 degrees then drops down to 1200 rpms normal- Indian should have closed that loop at the factory

·
Registered
382 Posts
I got my bike brand new at the beginning of March. I confirmed with the dealer that it had the updated ECU tune that Indian sent out to “solve” this problem. I rode it on several ~30°F days and those were typically the worst. It didn’t stall every time but it would do it about one in five starts from cold. Of those stalls I’ve had it throw a code at me maybe 3 times since I’ve owned it, and it was just one cylinder not both. Turned it off, turned it back on and the code was gone and rode about my day. To now, it’s got 3k miles on it, and days are in the 70-80’s F. It hasn’t cold stalled on me in awhile but it still very very occasionally happens and it hasn’t thrown a code since I don’t know when. It is bone stock exhaust and tuning (not even akro exhaust). So that’s my experience seems odd for it to do it every time and throw TWO codes. I’d be bitching at a dealer.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The guys at Fuel Moto sent me a map - idle was 1200~50 and stall - the new map they said was closed loop from o2 sensors to ECM - new idle was at 1600~50 till it hits 130 degrees then drops down to 1200 rpms normal- Indian should have closed that loop at the factory
It was my impression that it was a closed loop system until warmed up. Maybe I am mistaken.

I got my bike brand new at the beginning of March. I confirmed with the dealer that it had the updated ECU tune that Indian sent out to “solve” this problem. I rode it on several ~30°F days and those were typically the worst. It didn’t stall every time but it would do it about one in five starts from cold. Of those stalls I’ve had it throw a code at me maybe 3 times since I’ve owned it, and it was just one cylinder not both. Turned it off, turned it back on and the code was gone and rode about my day. To now, it’s got 3k miles on it, and days are in the 70-80’s F. It hasn’t cold stalled on me in awhile but it still very very occasionally happens and it hasn’t thrown a code since I don’t know when. It is bone stock exhaust and tuning (not even akro exhaust). So that’s my experience seems odd for it to do it every time and throw TWO codes. I’d be bitching at a dealer.
Mine stalls even when 95 degrees here in TX.

·
Registered
376 Posts
O2 sensors need to "light off",the engines I work on this happens at approx 410F.A heater is generally incorporated to get this to happen sooner and get the system into closed loop sooner.

·
Bronze member
2,050 Posts
My 2019 FTR has less than 500 miles and I am getting a check engine light on cold starts. It warms up and it goes away with a restart.

·
Rider
1,337 Posts
Tune it forget it! Only proven realistic solution. Mine did it too with no codes.

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
Hi everyone,

New FTR 1200 owner and new to the forums. I just purchased an FTR 1200S (RR) on Thursday, June 11. I've been following this bike for years and I am so happy to finally own one.

HOWEVER, I am seeing cold start problems as a common issue on these motorcycles. I am having this problem as well. The bike spits and sputters on a cold start-up, stalls, and throws cylinder misfire engine codes at me every start-up. The bike's dash notified me to contact my dealer, which I did, and they took it back to the shop and had the bike for 5 days to "fix" the problem. Over the phone, they told me the bike was running great — "no issues." Just got the bike back yesterday and it still has the issue and is throwing codes at me left and right. It didn't stall on the first start-up this morning, which is an improvement I guess, but both cylinder misfire codes popped up on the dash within the first minute of running the bike.

Does this happen on ALL FTR's? Is this something that, as an FTR owner, you just live with? It would give me peace of mind having some answers to that, because in my experience (24 years of riding, 14th motorcycle purchase), I have never owned a motorcycle that's done this, especially not brand new. It's to the point where it's a total deal breaker for me. Is there anything I can do to have the problem actually fixed? Do I really have to spend an extra $400-$500 to get the motorcycle tuned already?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!
After I had the OEM update the cold start issues essentially went away, although interestingly it threw a misfire code once. I would start documenting the codes, dealership response, etc. I would also find out which tune you have.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts