Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Frustrated.

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Dragoon 
#1 ·
For the second time since I purchased my 2014 classic I have a bike stuck in first gear. Essentially inoperable. I do feel fortunate that I completed a ride through Utah without a problem. Added 2300 miles to the bike riding up and down hills in various weather condition. Performed perfectly. Last night I got called into work and no go. Stuck in first gear. I reached out to my faithful dealer who of course is ready to help. I really must take my hat off to Chris at Indian Motorcycles of Orange County. It seems that my problem is well documented. For those of you doing your own service the 15,000 mile mark is where it usually strikes. The solution is a washer. The dealers are getting the washers as we speak. If you are turning in your bikes for 500, 2500, 5000, 10000 mile services you are getting washers added as a preventative measure in a design flaw.

My frustration is with the company contracted to provide road side assistance. Those guys are rubbish. Multiple phone calls that go unanswered. Transfers to disconnection, no speak English sir. I've called eight times without being able to arrange pick up for my bike to the dealer. This is also becoming a well documented problem. God help us when we really need then. They cannot or are unwilling to deliver.

#4 · (Edited)
Is it a clutch problem or a transmission problem? Thanks for the warning and good luck. I hope they don't end up like the early Victorys. A dealer once told me they were some of the worst lemons he ever seen. Spent 20 years riding a AMF Harley. I'm used to less than perfect. But it cost a lot less.

#5 ·
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm glad to hear at least the dealership was helpful, even if the roadside assistance company wasn't. Have you brought your concerns to Indian/Polaris? Any response from them?

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. Just had my 15K service done yesterday. Have printed out your post and will drop it off at my dealership today. Also, appreciate the info on the roadside service, certainly save me a couple of bucks by not renewing. I have 2 more roadside services, one from BMW which I have never used and one from Good Sam which I have used many times, everything from auto to diesel dually with a 32' fifth wheel attached. GREAT service! Broke down once on I-10 with travel trailer, they pulled me to an RV park, then came back the next day and took the truck to a shop once I had unhooked it. AAA left me stranded by the side of the Interstate for 6 hours, dispatch out of New Orleans. Refused to come for me unless I gave them a mile marker, I was stopped almost exactly between mile markers, I finally had to get out and walk back until I located one. Their initial suggestion was "maybe I could cross the Interstate and see if one was over there." The wrecker that finally got to me said he had had instructions faxed to him out of that dispatch with directions to turn at the "church" and rather that spell the word they had drawn a stick-house with a cross on top... Welcome to 21st Century America.

#7 ·
The solution is a washer. The dealers are getting the washers as we speak. If you are turning in your bikes for 500, 2500, 5000, 10000 mile services you are getting washers added as a preventative measure in a design flaw.
Great info, thanks for sharing Dragoon!! Ill be sure to mention this to my dealer on my next service visit.

#8 ·
I am really happy you all are finding this valuable which is why I share it.

Update Day 2? Contacted three companies to come out and take my bike away. I made the first call at 0900. First one told me they would be there at a prearrainged time (1600) and to call 30 minutes prior to needing the pick up. Called them after making arraingements to have someone there to open the garage door and take the bike away. When I made the call at 1530 they said I'd have to wait 24 hours. Complianed to Polaris who "got right on it". Company number two texted me that they would have my bike within the hour. They didn't show up. Complained again to Polaris who contacted a third company (who took my bike the first time and did a great job was) But they were called by the first company and cancelled. This is INSANE. So? I called the first company and told them to forget it. I called the third company back but after all the drama, had to ultimately re-schedule for tomorrow as the dealer is closed now anyways.

I had to laugh when I called Polaris the first time. The operator noted the time I originally called 0900 and said that he was sorry I had been waiting seven hours on the side of the road. At this rate if I was genuinely stuck in the middle of nowhere they would find a shiny blue classic and bleached white skeleton. But I have to look at the bright side. My call was REALLY important to them.

Point me to a wall so I can bang my head against it.

#10 ·
Exact same experience with a BMW. Tow service contracted was worthless. After four hours I asked a passing cop who got a guy out there pronto. Wish I could remember the name of the contracted service. They were a farce. BMW dropped them pronto.

#11 ·
Update. Home at 7pm. Guess what was waiting for me at my door?

My welcome kit! I had to laugh out loud.

I hopped on my other bike to grab dinner with my girlfriend and my son and who was at the back? The second tow truck company that never showed up. The dealer where I needed to tow it closed an hour ago. He said he wanted my bike and would deliver it in the morning. I asked where he was going to store my bike in the mean time. He said he wanted to leave it on the truck at his yard. I politely passed. I know I may have made my case harder by making that decision but I was not comfortable with his solution. I welcome your thoughts.

I swear I am not making this up.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.