Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my '16 Scout 60 front wheels don't have any rim weights on them, but the rear does. Do you think indian used beads for the front and weights on the back, or maybe they got lucky on my front tire and it self balanced?

·
Rider
1,124 Posts
I noticed my '16 Scout 60 front wheels don't have any rim weights on them, but the rear does. Do you think indian used beads for the front and weights on the back, or maybe they got lucky on my front tire and it self balanced?
Good question. Since you brought up beads, I'd love to hear from those who are using them. Harley friend had them put in on his front tire and says they seem to work fine. I've been considering them next time I replace my tires.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I talked to my dealer and he said the factory wheels, both front and back, used stick-on weights. He said about 1 out of 50 tires will self balance. I either got lucky, or the weights flew off.

·
Rider
1,055 Posts
I am using and have been for quite some time.
Was just concerned about the tpms sensors. As this is my first bike with those sensors but nil of a problem.
Ties change their balance over time and having the beads in keep them balanced at all times.
They work really well.

·
Rider
1,158 Posts
I too have used Dynabeads in my motorcycle tyres for some considerable time. I lost a couple of sticky weights from my rear rim, it was cheaper just to remove the rest and put a couple of ounces of beads in through the valve stem rather than remove the wheel and have it balanced. I have used them ever since.

I bought an FTR September and first tyre swap the weights will be coming off and beads fitted. There are other alternative balancing mediums that are puncture sealing too like Ride On. I have heard very good things about Ride On but as I carry a Dynaplug repair kit with me I just don't fancy the idea of slime in my tyres. Below is a sizing chart and how much you need to buy. Ignore the prices as they are imported to the UK from your side of the pond and will be cheaper where you're sat.

·
Bronze member
2,033 Posts
I’ve used dyna beads.

Currently using these. They are easier to put in your valve stem

E-Z Tire Beads Deluxe Motorcycle Kit, Ceramic Dynamic Balancing 2 oz Front + 3 oz Rear Balance Beads (5 Total), Applicator Kit, Chrome Caps, Valve Cores Amazon.com: E-Z Tire Beads Deluxe Motorcycle Kit, Ceramic Dynamic Balancing 2 oz Front + 3 oz Rear Balance Beads (5 Total), Applicator Kit, Chrome Caps, Valve Cores: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

But yes. A lot of times, if the tire is installed with the yellow dot at the valve stem, no weights are needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,055 Posts
Im actually running the dynabeads right now 3 oz rear 2 oz front with the original tire weights and it doesnt hurt.
Keeps things in balance at all times.
We used to get cupping on front tire no matter how good the front suspension was but after installing and running the beads the cupping has disappeared completely.
***I might also add here for the membership that chooses to try them to get a longer pc of hose to go on the applicator and use compressed air in the end and use light puffs of air to assist getting them to flow in otherwise as some know its a pita to get them in.

·
Bronze member
3,096 Posts
I've tried everything to balance my wheels,but I only run spoked wheels with tubes in all my bikes.
I could not get the beads into the tube,what a pita.
So I ran without balancing the wheel for a couple of weeks till my order of ride on came in.
No noticeable shaking or vibration.
Got my shipment of ride on,it went in great,rode it around and it performed good I guess,as no difference in ride,except on very cold mornings it bumps for a few miles till it warms up.I like the fact that it will seal a nail puncture,I like that.
I have beads in my truck tires and hate them and can't wait to change my tires,I ordered a bubble balancer
From China with wheel weights,just to get rid of those beads

·
Rider
1,158 Posts
Why do you hate the beads in your truck tires? I had a Land Rover with 305x70x16 BF Goodrich KM2 boots on that were notoriously difficult to balance with their block tread. 8 ounces in each wheel ran smooth as glass.

·
Rider
1,055 Posts
Bubble type are not really accurate.
You will get close though.
Spin Dynamic Balancing is better and Force Balance is the best balance you can do that I am aware of.
For me with balance if the wheel is out at high speed I can feel it if its an ounce out at most cases.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I believe bubble balancing is just as good as dynamic,it’s used in Moto GP and in the fuel classes in drag racing so good enough for 200mph+.

·
Bronze member
1,434 Posts
You can buy a cheap but functional tire/wheel balancer jig from Harbor freight. Balance the tire/wheel unit your self. Many times tires are mounted w/the painted spot ( most m/c tires have these) away from the valve stem. Bad mojo. But you can put enough stick on weights to balance it. Or brake the bead and rotate tire w/spot @ valve stem, remove all weights and start over. You will be impressed how much smoother you can get a tire/wheel.

·
Registered
386 Posts
So I ran without balancing the wheel for a couple of weeks till my order of ride on came in.
@Dochardtail: where in this world did you order your Ride-On from to wait 2 full weeks? I ordered a bottle last week Thursday, 3-19 at 10:08 AM (for my Bonnie who lost a weight on her front wheel and Ride-On was cheaper and faster and easier to use than taking the wheel off and get it re-balanced) from J&P Cycles. They offered “free standard shipping” for any order. So my $16 bottle qualified for that and I was in no rush because the weekend here in the MidWest was supposed to be shitty. It was delivered the next day (!) on Friday, 3-20 @ 4:08 PM to my front porch!

·
Registered
386 Posts
My $16 bottle was with taxes 🤣 so you win with 7 bucks 👍😎😇 I didn’t see that, but for me, that fix was worth the 16 bucks - installed it today (nice day here so I could ride the required 5+ miles after install) and it definitely works! Great stuff 👍 next ride is the Scout again - hopefully the weekend

·
Silver member
5,264 Posts
I think they got lucky and the tire/wheel combination didn’t need any weights to be balanced.

Seen that before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts