Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain why front tire pressure on the 2018 Springfield is 46psi while all other models are 36psi? Bike rides and handles fine with that pressure but it seems strange to have so much more in the front than the rear.

·
Rider
442 Posts
The Springfield is unique in the Indian line up and has rake and trail numbers like no other. The correct cold pressure is 46 on the front and 41 on the rear. This is the word from both Polaris and Dunlop. Do not assume your local dealer will get this right... after having them screw with my tire pressure and always get it completely wrong I now make the service tech put in writing on the work order NOT to touch the tire pressures. This will not negatively impact your tire mileage, I got 17,500 miles off of the original dunlop 3's {and they still had few miles left in them} and replaced with the Dunlop Elite 4's.

:cool:

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,797 Posts
Can anyone explain why front tire pressure on the 2018 Springfield is 46psi while all other models are 36psi? Bike rides and handles fine with that pressure but it seems strange to have so much more in the front than the rear.
The rack and offset on the front end allows the Springfield to handle exceptionally well, the problem is this can induce a high speed wobble if the tire pressure is too low. Do some searching for threads about this. The pressure is not a miss print. The higher pressure was a simple band aid to correct this issue. Dean

·
Registered
28 Posts
The reason for the high recommended pressure is the Dunlop tires, I put the same tires on a Honda Valkyrie, it wobbled until I took those off, installed Avons, no wobbles.

When my Dunlop tires wear out on my Springfield, I will replace with a different brand and lower the pressures to a normal PSI.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I changed the tyres recently on my 2016 Springfield. The OEM tyres are a nightmare in rain, would say even dangerous. After 16.000 km still with a lot of profile, just "Beton-Tyres". Now I have the new Cruisetec Tyres from Metzeler and I also changed the front wheel from 16 to to 19 inch, OEM Indian contrast cut wheel, what a difference! So much more grip in rain and improvement in overall handling. Here in Germany in our small Indian Community, we all change to that Metzelers! Tyre pressure front: max 2.5 bar, back: 2.8. Rode 180 km/h no wobbling, rides perfekt! I can really recommend everyone those tyres! The technology behind comes from the sport bikes. two different materials. The Challenger has that tyres stock!

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,256 Posts
I changed the tyres recently on my 2016 Springfield. The OEM tyres are a nightmare in rain, would say even dangerous. After 16.000 km still with a lot of profile, just "Beton-Tyres". Now I have the new Cruisetec Tyres from Metzeler and I also changed the front wheel from 16 to to 19 inch, OEM Indian contrast cut wheel, what a difference! So much more grip in rain and improvement in overall handling. Here in Germany in our small Indian Community, we all change to that Metzelers! Tyre pressure front: max 2.5 bar, back: 2.8. Rode 180 km/h no wobbling, rides perfekt! I can really recommend everyone those tyres! The technology behind comes from the sport bikes. two different materials. The Challenger has that tyres stock!
You are lucky in Germany. Your Metz are "Made in Germany"!

For overseas markets they are "Made in Brazil" (crap!). My last Metz ME888 WWW made in brazil had severe tread separation ...

(therefor since then I went with AVON made in UK ... even for the region here!)

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
wow, didn't know that! The manufacturing of those new Cruistec is special, I guess it happens only in one site, maybe Germany? It is worth it to ask, the Cruisetec are awesome !

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I have the SDH model and run 39 psi,front,and 44 psi,rear,[one up riding] which is 3 lbs.OVER the recommended pressures,[36 front and 41 rear is what is recommended] increasing only the rear tire pressure by another 2 lbs. "IF" I'm gonna carry a passenger.And I arrived at these pressures thru trial and error. (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently had tires replaced at the dealer. I was told that Polaris now recommends 36 psi for the front tire. I did have 18,000 miles on the tire.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I got 22,000 out of the original front tire on my SDH running 36 psi in it,but it was scalloping pretty good on the sides,vibrating thru corners,hence the reason I changed it.The replacement tire I put on is the same brand and size, only this time I put 39 psi in it,or three lbs. over the recommended pressure,and is now at 44000 miles on it,with no scalloping on the out sides,hence I am still able to use it without the front end vibrating thru corners.I figure I can get atleast another couple thousand out of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts