Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought about selling my bike because of the speed wobble and rocking in the corners and couldn't figure out why until I started searching on here. Tire psi and rear shocks are adjusted correctly. Are progressive springs and heavier oil the best bang for the buck upgrade? I just started noticing the front suspension is a little gritty when i bounce in the garage and holding the front brake. Im about 215 and would be cool if there is one that raises the front end a little. Ive seen a lot of threads about spring and spacer size and all that but its all for lighter riders. Really want to get this bike stable. Thanks

·
Registered
543 Posts
I went with the progressive springs on my 2017 S60 and did notice some improvement so I felt it was worth it given the low cost. The biggest difference was that it minimized nosediving during emergency braking, but when it came to handling I never found stock to be an issue personally. The most noticeable difference in handling for me was when I got rid of the Kendas after 1K and switched to Michelin Commanders. I weigh 220 without gear.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went with the progressive springs on my 2017 S60 and did notice some improvement so I felt it was worth it given the low cost. The biggest difference was that it minimized nosediving during emergency braking, but when it came to handling I never found stock to be an issue personally. The most noticeable difference in handling for me was when I got rid of the Kendas after 1K and switched to Michelin Commanders. I weigh 220 without gear.....
Which oil wt, spacer length, and springs up or down? Seen a lot of back and forth on if the springs should be up or down

·
Rider
843 Posts
Definitely springs, 20wt fork oil, and Michelin (or Perelli) tires. I have this exact same bike year and color! Very rare. Anyway, try riding without that huge airfoil in front. I'll bet you get a smoother ride. Personally, I use the Dart Marlin which despite its small-looking size, works incredibly well. I highly recommend it (see other's comments on this). The other tricks I pulled to stabilize things and reduce vibration is filling the bars with #5 lead shot. Then replace the rear shocks. The springs only cost ~$100 and is a no-brainer... switch to the heavier oil as well.

As to the gritty feel, sounds like your fork seals might be going/gone. Watch for oil leakage. There should be no grity feel. You might want to replace the seals when you do the springs. At the same time, look at adding fork gaters to keep the bugs and dirt from tearing up the new seals.

·
Silver member
3,701 Posts
I ride a stock 2016 Scout 60 and the bike is rock solid and I weigh about the same. There is something wrong with your bike that you should understand since maybe the new springs won't fix it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Which oil wt, spacer length, and springs up or down? Seen a lot of back and forth on if the springs should be up or down
I had the dealer install everything per the manufacturers recommendations which are listed on their website based on year/model. If your looking for a game changer by changing to progressives front springs you might be disappointed but I felt it was worth it given the price point and improvement in stability while braking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts