Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Indian Roadmaster: Happens quite a bit! Roads are mess here in NJ. upgrades. Seems like the forks bottom out
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
How many miles and what kind of oil? Any leaks or seepage?

I have been over some pretty good bumps and even deer roadkill in the dark... never bottomed my front end, but the rear-end will bottom without too much impact. I have been running mostly light and solo with no extra air-pressure added to the rear shock.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Haven't had any issues like that with my '16. I've thought the front a bit stiff from day 1, though...not soft at all.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Definitely not normal. I go over speed bumps faster than I should and don't bottom out.

·
Gold member
6,463 Posts
He was thinking oil & filter change I’m sure. Could be a broken spring, but could use some fork oil. Not snake oil. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Read they were cartridges,gotta be filled with oil Wasnt that..Heard like a thump. Loose bolts everywhere

·
Bronze member
1,672 Posts
Not normal. i am in the middle of a trip in NW BC, The Yukon and Alaska. Some of the worst roads I have been on and loaded up with me and full luggage and gear I haven't had a problem. Make sure the dealer checks it out properly.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Read they were cartridges,gotta be filled with oil Wasnt that..Heard like a thump. Loose bolts everywhere
Has the bike been properly serviced at 5,000 miles? Your dealer or other service tech should be thoroughly going over every nut and bolt for anything loose, missing, out of adjustment etc. Front fork oil has a limited service life for optimum operation, but at 8,000 miles should not yet be a problem.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,896 Posts
My 16 was similar and after the dealer did an oil change, nothing else, it was fine. I suspect it was actually not at the proper level from factory and with the change they got it where it belonged. But mine was at 20k. Yours being new they could just add some oil. The forks on a Roadmaster are not easy to get to though. So definitely get the dealer to investigate. Might also suggest to call the Polaris help line and ask for help as your dealer may try to pass it off as, they all do that. Which they don't but this would get Polaris on your side from the get-go with an incident number or whatever they call it.

·
Rider
976 Posts
‘17 RM, I had a leaky seal on the left side @ just under 15k miles this spring, The moco wasn’t going to warranty it because it was just under their “required maintenance interval” The dealer went to bat again for me and replaced it. Tech said the oil looked fine and agreed replacing fork oil @ 15k is a bunch of hooeey That would be every year for me. I’m absolutely in love with the suspension on this bike as I was with the Vic Vision. I’ve bottomed out maybe a couple of times due to my own in attention but overall it’s working great @ 27k miles. I replace fork oil @ 50-60k miles depending on how the seals hold up etc.

·
Bronze member
1,672 Posts
Just another thought...

Are you sure it's the front shocks bottoming out? It's very common that dealers deliver bikes with zero air pressure in the rear shock which can give you the impression that the bike is bottoming out. Might be worth a check just to make sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts