Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I now at 22,000 replacing my front fork seals on my 2018 Scout Icon series
it’s been agreat bike and I’ve taken it on 400 mile a day rides . But noticed this time a bouncing in my front suspension yesterday and at first thought it was the road and then noticed a light weight Oil on my gas tank area , that was a real giveaway. One seal had blown .I put a bandage around the fork and rode it on back home . It was a lot rougher ride and handling was rougher. noticed a vibration on my foot rests which was not normal and left hand went numb from the vibration right before it all happened. I know The bike pretty well by now and always check it out before I ride. Once the seal began blowing the fork seal oil out the numbness on my left grip went away then was just rougher to handle. My husband and I will replace them both and check it all out for any wearing and back up and running it will be.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I’m at 31,000 miles and still no obvious signs of fork seal trouble.
However because of what you have said, I thought there seems to be a rougher ride in recent times. Considered it could be my Michelin commander II tires surpassing 20,000 miles now.
Both things will need attention soon, I know, thinking of putting progressive springs into the forks at the same time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2018 scouts have the new front suspension springs , older scouts Reccrmend the upgrade. I’m good on that . A few things I’ve learned is the Michelin commander tires are awesome on the scout of course with proper weights attached or beads. I did not like the Perelli tires at all.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But I know my scout and the new tires . I thought it was the road and then noticed the seal oil on my tank area after a rougher ride. I picked up my seals today and the service tech handed me one packet of seals for 59.99 and said seals for both forks were in the bag. I said sir that’s not possible. I need another bag of kit seals. Ugh

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They told me several short cuts and I wasn’t impressed at all. Thinking I’m gonna do this at home and make sure it’s done correct. After all I’m the rider....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m at 31,000 miles and still no obvious signs of fork seal trouble.
However because of what you have said, I thought there seems to be a rougher ride in recent times. Considered it could be my Michelin commander II tires surpassing 20,000 miles now.
Both things will need attention soon, I know, thinking of putting progressive springs into the forks at the same time.
Have you checked your weights ? May have lost one

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Have you checked your weights ? May have lost one
Lost all of them! Ha ha. I took them all off after I put RideOn tire sealant balancer in.

I thought I was feeling something in the handlebars before that anyway, just never can tell if it’s the road surfaces or not. It’s almost like overinflated tires except I’ve always kept them at the exact recommended pressures.
Course it’s the heat of summer now so there is that. Hmm. Guess before it got really hot but it was already warming up by that time.

Reactions: TheBlueGrassLady

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I covered my tank and fender up used a 5/8 hex bit on wheel. Take wheel off slowly and watch for bushing in tire

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,244 Posts
I'm wondering if having exposed fork tubes which pick up bugs & dirt has anything to do with the fork seals failing. Quite a few Scout owners have put rubber fork gators on their rides and maybe that's a good idea for protecting and keeping crud off the fork tubes.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I wipe off the fork tubes a lot.
Never much dirt because I don’t splash through mud, just the occasional bug swarm. So if my windshield is looking bad I know I need to clean the forks sooner.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thats my solution - aesthetics was first, then came function, and it works 👍

Reactions: Masta Kink

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i just dismantled my forks because one was leaking and went ahead and redone both only to find plastic in both chambers,,, from what... no bugs.redoil was dirty but not bad , iit’s a 2018 scout
one seal was upside down on the other one and had only 6 ozs of oil in it. The leaking one which was noticeable had less than that. It was a new Bike so came from factory like that I’d say.
my manual says 18:6 ozs of fork oil . I’m assuming that’s for one fork .

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
i just dismantled my forks because one was leaking and went ahead and redone both only to find plastic in both chambers,,, from what... no bugs.redoil was dirty but not bad , iit’s a 2018 scout
one seal was upside down on the other one and had only 6 ozs of oil in it. The leaking one which was noticeable had less than that. It was a new Bike so came from factory like that I’d say.
my manual says 18:6 ozs of fork oil . I’m assuming that’s for one fork .
Is yours a Bobber? Edit: Sorry never mind that question, I see you have a Scout 69 Icon. Please check out those differences in that PDF file link.

I just found some interesting info in a Polaris PDF file online. Says 18.6 ounces total with slight variance from left to right fork legs for the 2018 Scout Bobber.

Reactions: TheBlueGrassLady

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ummm , that wouldn’t bother me a bit. Where did you get them at?
Amazon, I believe it was for 39 mm - even the forks are 41 mm. Got it from a youtuber, "Rench Ranch" - he has a video putting them on. Fit was and is perfect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts