Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 chief classic
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trim on my 2014 classic looks like it has a plastic coating on it that is delaminating. I don’t see any rust. Is this a common thing? Is there an easy way to remove the rest of the plastic? Once plastic is removed is there special care to be taken on the trim piece?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It's just cheap stick on trim available at most auto parts stores.

When it falls apart, pull it off, clean up with a little paint thinner and apply new trim.

I got mine at AutoZone. A whole roll will do the bike a couple times.

·
Registered
2014 chief classic
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds easy to repair. Someday I will have it painted on.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chief, "Adeline"
176 Posts
I've been looking for someone who makes a stainless aftermarket fender for when the time comes for me. I haven't found anything, yet, but maybe others have? TBH, I'd love one with chromed lines, and a deeply scalloped shape more like a Gilroy fender. Until then, glad i saw this thread.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
A little hint from me on applying the new 3/4" trim:
Remove your fender (quite easy) and lay it on its side on a towel.
Warm the trim with either a good hairdryer or a heat gun to get the nice smooth curve.

Even if you go to your dealer and get screwed for $79 per fender for "Indian" trim (exactly the same stuff at AutoZone), you will have to bend it yourself.

Spend $20 and have enough to do it all.

The acute angle at the ends should be cut after the trim is installed --- very carefully, using a new blade in a utility knife. I slipped a thin strip of something just under where I was cutting to prevent marring the paint.

While your fender is off, I HIGHLY recommend cleaning the underside with paint thinner and applying a good coat of rubberized undercoating to prevent the rust that forms at the weld seams.
I had both of my fenders rust out pretty bad.

All in all, an easy, painless project.

·
Bronze member
1,559 Posts
I don't think there has been a one-piece version for the fender made as of yet. Likely due to high cost of manufacture. The challenge with this is it's a three piece fender and the strip is there to hide the seams and spot welds. I hated the look of it from day one, so when I had my Vintage and RM repainted, I had my painter lead-fill the seams and smooth it out. It's an old-school technique. Not many people are still using it these days due to the ease of body fillers. Plus, just doing a body filler would likely crack over time.

It can be welded as well, but that takes a very skilled welder to ensure the right heat is applied to avoid warpage.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,619 Posts
Very surprised that Kuryakyn has not come out with a one piece wheel trim that is molded. I think it would sell better than most of the other stuff they offer for the Indian. Dean

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chief, "Adeline"
176 Posts
I don't think there has been a one-piece version for the fender made as of yet. Likely due to high cost of manufacture. The challenge with this is it's a three piece fender and the strip is there to hide the seams and spot welds. I hated the look of it from day one, so when I had my Vintage and RM repainted, I had my painter lead-fill the seams and smooth it out. It's an old-school technique. Not many people are still using it these days due to the ease of body fillers. Plus, just doing a body filler would likely crack over time.

It can be welded as well, but that takes a very skilled welder to ensure the right heat is applied to avoid warpage.
A buddy of mine back in Charleston, SC did chops of VW bugs, Hudsons, etc, and often lead-filled the body panel seams. He did fantastic work. Also, didn't know that about the indian fenders. I love love love a scalloped fender in general, but felt Polaris could have done a bit better. To your point, though, it'd certainly increase cost. Pity it wasn't available as a premium option or some such.

That said, like Dean mentioned, surprised Kuryakyn...really nobody has produced a one-piece.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
That guy does sell them on the Indian Motorcycle Facebook groups. I have seen photos posted on Facebook of his satisfied customers' bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts