Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I just had a new voltage regulator installed and was riding around all happy and then the check engine light came on. I looked at the vehicle diagnostic screen and it said front cylinder running rich, see a dealer....it doesn’t sound any different, was running just fine. I’m stumped.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
The front sensor harness runs across the front of engine with the regulator wiring and it connects on left-hand side (front). The sensor is in the front exhaust header pipe (inside radius of the pipe).The only reason I mention it is your report of replacing the VR. The cabling was most likely disturbed at that time and it bears checking out carefully.

·
Silver member
4,572 Posts
They might also have updated your ECU to a newer calibration or just reset the fuel trims.

If your 02 harness is okay, which with a Rich code it sounds like it is. Then the tune just has to adjust to the engine. That code will come on if the ECU exceeds a fuel trim of 25% trying to meet 14.7 out of the exhaust. In your case, it just cannot lean out the fuel enough to meet that target. On the next engine cycle, see if the codes comes back. It should go away with a couple of engine cycles and riding, if not I would see the dealer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The front sensor harness runs across the front of engine with the regulator wiring and it connects on left-hand side (front). The sensor is in the front exhaust header pipe (inside radius of the pipe).The only reason I mention it is your report of replacing the VR. The cabling was most likely disturbed at that time and it bears checking out carefully.
Understood, I went out to the garage after replying and traced the front O2 sensor to the connection. It all looks good. I made sure the snap connectors were tight and secure, no pulled wires. Thank you for the heads up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They might also have updated your ECU to a newer calibration or just reset the fuel trims.

If your 02 harness is okay, which with a Rich code it sounds like it is. Then the tune just has to adjust to the engine. That code will come on if the ECU exceeds a fuel trim of 25% trying to meet 14.7 out of the exhaust. In your case, it just cannot lean out the fuel enough to meet that target. On the next engine cycle, see if the codes comes back. It should go away with a couple of engine cycles and riding, if not I would see the dealer.
I’ll give it a couple good rides and see if it hopefully clears.
Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll give it a couple good rides and see if it hopefully clears.
Thanks
Sunday, me and the missus went on a ride to see if the alert would clear, fifteen miles out the check engine light went out and there are no codes. So happy, we rode over the Shenandoah Mountains to luray caverns. Excellent day, lovin’ my Chieftain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts