Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 RM with 7K. My front brakes started dragging (Making Noise) last week. Took to dealer. They said they needed to be cleaned. They cleaned them this time. Went for ride yesterday, on way home heard the front brakes dragging again. Has this happened to anyone else?
I called dealer again, Again they said it went out fine which it did, but it started back up again. Brakes work fine they just make noise. This is not my first bike, I think 6 before this. Never have I heard this before on any other bike. Sounds like steel on steel. Almost. Sand in pad maybe? Rotor does not look very good. I will try to take pics and post.
Thanks
Any input would be great.

·
Banned
451 Posts
2016 RM with 7K. My front brakes started dragging (Making Noise) last week. Took to dealer. They said they needed to be cleaned. They cleaned them this time. Went for ride yesterday, on way home heard the front brakes dragging again. Has this happened to anyone else?
I called dealer again, Again they said it went out fine which it did, but it started back up again. Brakes work fine they just make noise. This is not my first bike, I think 6 before this. Never have I heard this before on any other bike. Sounds like steel on steel. Almost. Sand in pad maybe? Rotor does not look very good. I will try to take pics and post.
Thanks
Same deal on my 2016 Chieftain , but other bike I've had in the past did this also , right after cleaning ??

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,215 Posts
Maybe you could try a break in procedure.

1. Perform 3-4 medium stops from 45mph. ...
  2. Make 8-10 aggressive stops from 60mph down to 15mph. ...
  3. The brake pads and brake rotors are extremely hot at this point and sitting on one point will imprint the pad material onto the surface unevenly. So ride for 30 minutes to allow cooling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks
I have the same issue. Today I did a thorough cleaning, took all 8 pistons out and spray brake cleaning agent. Situation improved, but still the wheel can not move freely. In 30K I'm done with 2 sets of pads, and I start to suspect it is a design issue or manufacturing defect. Anyone know how to report that to Indian?

·
Registered
2019 Scout ABS
1 Posts
I am experiencing this with my Scout with 2100 miles. It feels almost like metal to metal. I took it to the dealer at 500 miles and they sanded the pads. Roughness came back after a few miles. Same thing at 2000 miles. The dealer blows it off as just being dirty but I don’t think that is it. I can’t tell if the dealer just doesn’t know why they’re talking about, or this is a known issue they can’t or won’t fix.

·
Bronze member
2,715 Posts
Normally, pads will drag on the rotor and you usually hear a grinding sound when you spin the wheel…that’s ok. If you hear them grinding while riding, then that’s not right. If the pads are dragging on the rotors too much, the rotors will be very hot to the touch. If they’re not hot, then the drag is more of a light touch and that’s ok.

Also, you can use a scotchbrite pad to deglaze the rotors, followed by a good cleaning with brake cleaner. Do the same on the pads…scotchbrite followed by cleaner. While you’re at it, clean the calipers, pistons, etc., with brake cleaner and a brush. The pistons should move freely back and forth in the caliper. I did the rotor, pads, and caliper cleaning on my RM and it was a noticeable improvement.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Reading through here, did anyone change brake fluid and make sure you didn't over fill? Old fluid with moisture in it can cause issues, along with over filling. Over filling which will cause brakes to partially apply as there is no place for the fluid to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The following video explains how piston retracts, and what might cause some problem. Also check for master cylinder return hole, see if it's clogged. I will rebuild the caliper and run some test the following week, and see if situation improves. But anyhow, I highly suspect that the design of Indian caliper is the main culprit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts