Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 17 vintage with 15,000 miles on it , on the left side front i have a steady rubbing noise , the rotor gets very warm and the right side is fine. I eyeballed the rotor and doesnt seem to be warped, so could it be a caliper problem?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Probably a piston lightly sticking in that caliper,may have to pull it to clean and replace dust and fluid seals.This is a common issue with my FJR calipers.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is this something i could do or is this a dealer job or possible covered under warranty?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Depends on how comfortable you feel and your skills level. If the bike is still under warranty I'd get the dealer to look at it. If not, you might try doing it yourself but as it seems a piston is sticking it may be more than just a cleaning. I've rebuilt MC calipers before and replaced the seals but not one on a sticking piston which seems to be your issue. Could be that cleaning around it might work but I'm thinking it's going to be more involved than that. Take a look at Youtube and see how it's done and then make up your own mind on doing it yourself. Lotsa times I look at those videos and say not with a 10 foot pole would I touch that.....LOL. Good luck.

·
Bronze member
3,055 Posts
When disc brake pads are installed,whether it be on a car,truck,trailer,or motorcycle,the ends of the pads where they rub ,or slide back and fourth in the caliper mount, should be dressed,or cleaned off from any burrs,rust, or excess paint,then checked to make sure they slide back and forth easily in the caliper,then lightly lubed on the ends with brake grease or never seize.That way when the brake is applied ,the pads can move back and forth freely without binding or hangin up.And the other things that should also be checked are the calipers themselves to make sure the pistons can move in and out without binding or hanging up.You'd be surprised at how many "techs" do NOT perform these little tasks when they do a brake job.I learned this aloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago and exercise this on EVERY brake job I do,whether it be a car, truck, trailer,or a motorcycle. And yes, this does make a difference, a BIG DIFFERENCE!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts