Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Early joiner
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed my Scout's front master cylinder cover is corroding and the paint's peeling off - I wonder if there are any aftermarket covers out there? I know Triumph do alternative covers in chrome, with Union Jacks etc etc etc, just wondered if Indian have any options.

Otherwise I'll have to get the spray can out I suppose and get goo everywhere (which is usually what happens when I start spraying stuff...sigh...)

cheers Pat

·
Bronze member
1,378 Posts
Just noticed my Scout's front master cylinder cover is corroding and the paint's peeling off
Mine has slight degradation of paint around edges. Found one of the screws a little loose after I noticed brake fluid around MC.
So yeah, I've looked at some aftermarket covers before. Just never got one (yet).

Indian Motorcycle Scout Parts Customized Accessories Aftermarket

Indian Scout Brake Master Cylinder Cover Chrome / Black Warrior

Aw heck, ya beat me to it MOTO, keeping post here anyway.

·
Bronze member
1,029 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,929 Posts
Brake fluid weeping from the gasket between the reservoir and the cap...not an uncommon problem. Check the gasket (which is probably good), and make sure the reservoir cap screws are not too tight, nor too loose (lightly turn screws until they stop turning - then give about 1/4 turn more...that should be enough). Too tight can deform the gasket and cause leakage. Also check the fluid level - an over-filled reservoir will leak. You're better off being a little low than over-filled.

To fix the corroded area around the reservoir, I'd sand down the damaged area and spray with flat black paint.

·
Early joiner
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a heap guys for the links and also TigerGA for the thoughts - I'll follow that for sure and stop the rot. In the interim I've ordered the billet cover on special (my mate in Minnesota will post it on to me) from Indian. I do like the Joker one though, thanks for those links FNG Moto and Scoutrider - Indian one is the best price I think though and quite good style.

Now I think of it, I probably caused this when I put in new pads - squeezing out the pistons one should really take the cap off and mop out some excess fluid - damn!! It has likely seeped and now the result!
thanks all, much appreciated! Indian sites are by far the best for decent and courteous conversations - I am on various Guzzi and Triumph sites also, and the smartarse and paranoid elements are much much more obtrusive! - cheers Pat

·
Bronze member
1,378 Posts
Yeah, thanks for the heads up about the Indian special price. Got myself the chrome version... and I hope it's a set including the rear brake cover. At least picture shows the pair, and I didn't find them listed separately.

As TigerGA said, I think mine was overfilled. I didn't have an air bubble showing in the sight glass for a year after I bought it. When it was seen seeping fluid and opened it I soaked up some with a paper towel. Should have done it sooner. I had just decided it wasn't empty so left well enough alone.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just noticed my Scout's front master cylinder cover is corroding and the paint's peeling off - I wonder if there are any aftermarket covers out there? I know Triumph do alternative covers in chrome, with Union Jacks etc etc etc, just wondered if Indian have any options.

Otherwise I'll have to get the spray can out I suppose and get goo everywhere (which is usually what happens when I start spraying stuff...sigh...)

cheers Pat
Here's a set of Indian covers at 60% off 32.00 contrast cut or chrome
Billet Master Cylinder Covers - Contrast Cut | Indian Motorcycle

Billet Master Cylinder Covers - Chrome | Indian Motorcycle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts