Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been experiencing some abnormalities while riding recently. Pulled and checked the front wheel to find abnormal tire wear. I just pulled the bearing seals and found both inner races not moving freely...or at all (by hand) for that matter. The pic shows some rust(?) and/or buildup around the outside left bearing and a cleaner right side. All Balls bearings inbound.
Now....do I get the tools needed to pull and set the bearings myself or take the wheel to a local shop? Tough choice as we all could use more tools in the garage but the shop may be quicker and definitely more experienced. But then again, how do I expect to know how if I don't DO, right?!

Slim

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Bearings are a simple thing to get,but you need to press those bad boys in with a press, any motorcycle shop can pop those in no problem, and know how,if you don't have a press i wouldn't attempt it.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bearings are a simple thing to get,but you need to press those bad boys in with a press, any motorcycle shop can pop those in no problem, and know how,if you don't have a press i wouldn't attempt it.

That's what I was considering. But I do have access to a press at a local DIY auto hobby shop.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well looked on the web and came up with this if ya wanna diy. Harbor frieghts standup right bench press is only 70 bucks but I don't know if wheel will fit in it,but amazon has these cool universal hub bearing press,I think that's the ticket,a bearing removal tool would be nice also but ultimately you could wack the bearings out with a long carrage bolt from opposite sides.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Download the free PDF of the Indian repair manual available on this forum as it should show you how to do it. I suspect you'll find that they are held in place like disc brake hubs or brake drums on a car, not like a rear axle bearing which definitely requires a press.
There are bearing driver kits on Amazon for about $30 that will do the job. A large socket will work as well.
Best of luck with your project.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is only 15k miles on these.
Thank goodness there is a HF nearby. I'm an occasional mechanic and trust their affordable tools. I'm headed there now to see what they have.
As for the manual...got it. That is the large reason why I'm comfortable doing the job....along with the input of wonderful members of this forum such as yourselves.
Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
odds are that your front tire is incorrectly inflated long before your wheel bearings being wore out
Sven, not saying you're wrong but I do keep my eye on the tire pressure. I haven't ranged far outside of the recommended PSI if at all. Also, the roads in eastern North Carolina are not the best maintained. I may have hit a few divets and cracks wrong over time.
Also, I have had a radial front with a bias rear for the past 1k miles. A new bias front will be here Monday.
With new bearings and a new front tire, all will be well again come Tuesday.....God willing, of course!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a couple of useful tools at HF and was able to use a slide hammer to get the bearings out. Took a bit of time and effort but they came out without doing any damage to the wheel. However, I will be returning the kit as the screw holding the T handle in place broke, but it didn't keep me from being able to finish the job. Thank goodness for their easy return policy.
You can see the edges of the bearings were being worn pretty good. And I took the liberty of replacing the spark plugs to. I think I need a new spacer judging by the looks of that inside edge. It's not as square as the other side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts