Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After many years of riding sport bikes I bought the scout 60. After replacing the tires and installing the power vision cx I find the bike very capable and enjoyable.
My question: I am very curious about the Ftr. Is selling the scout and buying the ftr will give me the added enjoyment for the added cost? Has anyone done it?
Btw, I am quite old at 74 but still enjoy active riding.

·
Rider
470 Posts
I likely would have done something similar by trading in my Sixty on an FTR. For the type of sporty, occasional dirt and gravel roads I often travel, it seemed perfect. Then I sat on the FTR at the dealership. I’m just a hair under 6’ but all torso. My stumpy little legs could barely touch the ground.

Awesome looking bike, though.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Thanks @MarkS
I do own both.
I too rode mainly sport bikes, and bought a scout because I knew it would be a fun bike, and was not disappointed..
The FTR is also a very fun bike. Yes, it is (from my background) much more fun than the Scout,, but, the Scout offers its own brand of fun..
Here's some key differences.
It's tall.. slightly taller than a sport bike, but not as tall as an ADV
It holds its weight low, so is pretty easy to handle in spite it's height.
I personally could do more miles on FTR than scout via it's riders triangle (posture).
The wind is less of a force on FTR than the Scout and the butt lasts longer.
FTR is a bit hotter than Scout.
Scout is slightly smoother in the vibration category, but FTR in normal state is not really bothersome in that regard.
FTR absorbs road better than Scout..
If your background is similar to mine (seems to be) yes, it's worth the money, and you will enjoy it more..
HOWEVER....
I couldn't get rid of my Scout...it's too fun in a different way..
Ride the FTR, I think you'll find its an AMAZINGLY fun bike, unlike any other ever.. IMHO, it's a goldie locks bike.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Both have their place. I don’t think you can replace one with the other in either direction. I have one of each. The 60 is a great bike to cruise around on and its my touring bike also. (Corbin seat) I find it a very relaxing bike to ride. And I can ride it all day long and not be done. 300 mile rides are no big deal.
The FTR on the other hand is a hooligan bike. It’s fast,nimble and a canyon carver at its best. It’s also a pain in the butt. Literally. It’s uncomfortable and hot after any distance past about 50 miles. It’s also my favorite bike I have ever owned. Two totally different bikes for totally different riding.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Both have their place. I don’t think you can replace one with the other in either direction. I have one of each. The 60 is a great bike to cruise around on and its my touring bike also. (Corbin seat) I find it a very relaxing bike to ride. And I can ride it all day long and not be done. 300 mile rides are no big deal.
The FTR on the other hand is a hooligan bike. It’s fast,nimble and a canyon carver at its best. It’s also a pain in the butt. Literally. It’s uncomfortable and hot after any distance past about 50 miles. It’s also my favorite bike I have ever owned. Two totally different bikes for totally different riding.
Then we can add different folks different strokes. Because I can ride the FTR much much longer than the Scout. Feet forward controls do a number on my lower back.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Then we can add different folks different strokes. Because I can ride the FTR much much longer than the Scout. Feet forward controls do a number on my lower back.
Absolutely. We are all different and riding positions suit us all differently. I find the FTR seat hard and unforgiving after a very short time. Get it to a twisty road though and the discomfort disappears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts