Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a 16 scout. I just can't remember if mine really hits anywhere above 209. What is the hottest your scouts have gotten?

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
His oil won't actually work properly to protect the engine until it gets past about 190F.

200-250F is fine.

When I had engine temp gauges on my Norton normal temp was 275-325 and I hit 350 a few times.

I have read 375 on the exhaust header on my Ducati with my Fluke infrared temp meter.

HTH

·
Registered
314 Posts
That's fine. Per the service manual, the fan comes on a 205, the "hot" warning light is at 233, and engine protection mode comes at 240. Obviously the Scout runs around 176 at highway speed, but when stopped the fan should hold the temperature somewhere around 210-215 (this is what most cars are running these days too). If it's getting much hotter than that, might want to get it checked out.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,088 Posts
Yep, it's good. The additives in the antifreeze mixture actually raises the boiling point above 212 degrees F. Most cooling systems these days are a closed pressurized type that actually raises it a bit more. The thermostat and the cooling fan settings will keep the temperatures within a safe range. Don't sweat it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts