Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing something about the screws that hold on the chin fairing in front of the battery, use a torque wrench!!! The tech spec's call for 36 inch pounds, that's not a lot. The brace that holds the fastners is plastic and what you have is a brass insert pressed into the plastic. If you over tighten it the brass insert will begin to spin and it isn't coming out. The chin fairing and the radiator grill are both plastic too. No way to reach in without bending and pulling up the chin fairing and removing the screw holding the brace and unscrewing the two screws at the top of the radiator grill and taking out as an assembly. Cost me a new chin fairing and the brace. The brace was about $20 and so was the chin fairing.

·
Rider
841 Posts
Mine spun out but I managed to get them loose by wedging a large standard screwdriver in and taking them out with an air ratchet. You have to spin them loose until the plastic heats up, then you can pry them out.
The brass inserts have threads that aren't chased out so they bind up on the steel bolt. I cleaned up the threads on the new ones before installation.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have a Air Ratchet, but just pried up the bottom hooks and then lifted up the bottom to remove the screw holding the battery bracket in, once I got off the two parts could separate the sections, replaced the battery bracket and then reassebled. Lesson learned. A shame they didn't make out of a metal instead of plastic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts