Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a used 16 Chief Vintage in the SF Bay Area and rode half way across the US home. Epic trip and the bike is absolutely gorgeous... I had so many conversations with people on the week trip.

The dual exhaust definitely runs cooler than stock (I had a Chieftain with stock exhaust previously). I like the sound and love the fishtail look.

As far as I can see, the bike still has the stock AC.

I also have access to a Power Commander that I can use to tune it.

The bike has loads of torque, especially at the low end. My only real issue is that it lacked passing power ... several times trying to pass at 70 and just took forever to get up to passing speed.

Any recommendations appreciated! I really want to keep the stock and vintage look of this bike...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,054 Posts
Stage two cams with Stage One air cleaner will help a bit. Lloyds 558 or 585 cams are said to give even more oomph. Be sure and get a PVCX and tune from either Fuel Moto or Craig B then you'll really wake things up even more.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love that Indians are smooth and my hands aren’t numb after 20 minutes ... do the cam upgrades affect that? I don’t want to give up the smoothness for a few HP.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,054 Posts
I had the Stage Two cams in my 2015 Chieftain. They made the idle a bit lopey sounding which was music to my ears anyhow, Not really much if any increase in vibration but the increase in torque was very noticeable, No increase in top end power but the low to midrange torque got a healthy increase.

·
Bronze member
2,292 Posts
I love that Indians are smooth and my hands aren’t numb after 20 minutes ... do the cam upgrades affect that? I don’t want to give up the smoothness for a few HP.
According to my build history (stage1, stage2, 585s, different mufflers, header and intakes) engine smoothness (or the lack of) was mostly influenced by the tune, regardless of the cams (or the other components).
Even on stage1 with the same hardware I could replicate or eliminate floorboard buzzing on demand by just loading a different tune.

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stage two cams with Stage One air cleaner will help a bit. Lloyds 558 or 585 cams are said to give even more oomph. Be sure and get a PVCX and tune from either Fuel Moto or Craig B then you'll really wake things up even more.
I have the Stage 2 cams and Stage one air cleaner with Freedom Performance True duals running Reinhardts. I have not had much luck with the Fuel Moto tunes. I understand that the stock pipes with the Lloyd cams are the way to go and I would contact Ryan the man at Charlotte Indian. He is THE man when it comes to tuning your 111.

·
Bronze member
2,292 Posts
I have the Stage 2 cams and Stage one air cleaner with Freedom Performance True duals running Reinhardts. I have not had much luck with the Fuel Moto tunes. I understand that the stock pipes with the Lloyd cams are the way to go and I would contact Ryan the man at Charlotte Indian. He is THE man when it comes to tuning your 111.
The free FuelMoto tunes are "generic" as are the free Dynojet tunes.
They allow your setup to run withing safe operating margins, but never "fine tuned performance" tunes!
Since you are member since 2017 and this is your first post now, you must have been reading a lot here and should know that

Of course you will get a different beast with an individual remote or dyno tune! (But saying [email protected] is THE man for our 111 tunes is simply incorrect!)

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts