Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shipping now...listing revised.
Purchased directly from Freedom Performance back in Feb. Installed on 2018 Chieftain Limited.
Current mileage on the bike 1758 miles. During time of install the mileage was about 1430 ...not many miles on the True Duals.
Paid over $650, $420 Shipped. Paypal accepted. Will send you an invoice.

All the hardware included...just not the install instructions.
** Just wanted to point out there is small dent/scratch on one of the chrome heatshield covers. Its towards the top and not noticed at all once you install the head fin cover over it.
I'm located in the Dallas, Ft. Worth area and could meet to save $$ on shipping. Otherwise, I'll ship it for the price stated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I am running these. What changed your mind?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am running these. What changed your mind?
Could of been a combination of different factors. But while in Sturgis the bike ran like crap... I just recently installed the duals a few months ago and was running a fuelmoto tune and the Indian stage one slip-on's. All this is paired with the 116. Bike ran just okay but had some de-cell popping. I did notice a loss of torque (which I knew I would get...just not that much). Also, the bike was hard to start with it usually taking two or three starts before it would idle without it cutting off.
They looked great while installed, but the sound still wasn't what I wanted. Im sure the Indian slip-on's were not the most ideal set-up with the duals.
Heading to Sturgis last week and this is where the trouble really began. First day I had the same normal de-cell popping and hard start which I knew I would get..But after day three the problem got a lot worse. It was taking me 7 or 8 attempts to start the bike and keep it at idle. While on the highway the bike to seemed to be bogging down. It was running hot. The wife even mentioned "what the heck is going on with your bike?"
So while there, I took the fuelmoto tune out and re-installed the stock tune. Bike ran a lot better and the de-cell popping went away and the hard starting went away as well.
Now like I mentioned. It could of been the combo of the tune and the duals not working together. Since the tune was done on a 116 with the stock headers and cat.
I just decided to make everything stock again and later on might just go with a different set of slip-ons.
But at the moment with everything being stock. The bike is running like the day I picked it up from the dealer.

·
Founding member
1,496 Posts
You said, "It could have been the combo of the tune and the duals not working together. Since the tune was done on a 116 with the stock headers and cat."

EGGZACTLY!!! That's what the problem was!!! You diagnosed it yourself. In my honest opinion Freedom True Duals are as good as you can get if the tune is right. I've run approximately 45,000 miles on two Indians with Freedoms on them. Perfectly happy. Might change the mufflers if I wanted them a little louder but other than that I couldn't be more pleased.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Could of been a combination of different factors. But while in Sturgis the bike ran like crap... I just recently installed the duals a few months ago and was running a fuelmoto tune and the Indian stage one slip-on's. All this is paired with the 116. Bike ran just okay but had some de-cell popping. I did notice a loss of torque (which I knew I would get...just not that much). Also, the bike was hard to start with it usually taking two or three starts before it would idle without it cutting off.
They looked great while installed, but the sound still wasn't what I wanted. Im sure the Indian slip-on's were not the most ideal set-up with the duals.
Heading to Sturgis last week and this is where the trouble really began. First day I had the same normal de-cell popping and hard start which I knew I would get..But after day three the problem got a lot worse. It was taking me 7 or 8 attempts to start the bike and keep it at idle. While on the highway the bike to seemed to be bogging down. It was running hot. The wife even mentioned "what the heck is going on with your bike?"
So while there, I took the fuelmoto tune out and re-installed the stock tune. Bike ran a lot better and the de-cell popping went away and the hard starting went away as well.
Now like I mentioned. It could of been the combo of the tune and the duals not working together. Since the tune was done on a 116 with the stock headers and cat.
I just decided to make everything stock again and later on might just go with a different set of slip-ons.
But at the moment with everything being stock. The bike is running like the day I picked it up from the dealer.
I’m curious because I too have the freedom true duals albeit with Rinehart exhaust. Did you contact fuel Moto about your issue or try reloading their flash tune?

Sorry to highjack. Good price on your sale, they should sell quickly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I pretty much knew it was the tune and headers not working right together. With a 111 Im sure the headers and stock tune work wonders...but having the 116 and trying to run the fuelmoto performance tune with the duals, not so much.
Only other option would having the bike dyno to match it up with the 116 and the headers...which means even more money.
I put the stock headers back on and Im going to try the Fuelmoto tune and see how it runs.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m curious because I too have the freedom true duals albeit with Rinehart exhaust. Did you contact fuel Moto about your issue or try reloading their flash tune?

Sorry to highjack. Good price on your sale, they should sell quickly.
I did email Fuelmoto right before I installed the headers and asked if they had a specific tune for the 116 and true duals. Which they dont. They only have the 116 tune for the stock exhaust set-up. Now, they do offer there advanced tuning support..for another $300.
As indicated, Im sure there tune wasn't meant for the true duals.

Reactions: freezeland

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Could of been a combination of different factors. .... It could of been the combo of the tune and the duals not working together. Since the tune was done on a 116 with the stock headers and cat.
I think you have identified the problem. A Dynojet tune is specific to the air flow.. and a few hundred other things.

Not to jack your thread, but this is interesting.

You may not need a machine dyno, you might be able to get away with asking Fuelmoto for a tune that is specific to your setup. Never mind.

But, I originally asked because I have full Freedom exhausts on my '17RM - stock engine. It runs great. Perhaps not as peppy as is was with just a PVCX, pre-duals. But, MUCH MUCH cooler. My little whiny gripe is that while the Freedom slip-on exhausts sounded great in the beginning and do when you first start up, after an hour of driving they get a bit loud. I bummed some foam ear plugs on a Saturday ride and was much happier when I got home, 100 miles later. No ringing. No headache.

@freezeland How do the Rineharts sound?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I think you have identified the problem. A Dynojet tune is specific to the air flow.. and a few hundred other things.

Not to jack your thread, but this is interesting.

You may not need a machine dyno, you might be able to get away with asking Fuelmoto for a tune that is specific to your setup. Never mind.

But, I originally asked because I have full Freedom exhausts on my '17RM - stock engine. It runs great. Perhaps not as peppy as is was with just a PVCX, pre-duals. But, MUCH MUCH cooler. My little whiny gripe is that while the Freedom slip-on exhausts sounded great in the beginning and do when you first start up, after an hour of driving they get a bit loud. I bummed some foam ear plugs on a Saturday ride and was much happier when I got home, 100 miles later. No ringing. No headache.

@freezeland How do the Rineharts sound?
I’m running their 4” slip-ons. They sound great to me. Not obnoxious but you hear me coming and going. More of a rumble IMO. There is another member here who posted a sound clip. He has the freedom headers combined with the Rinehart’s. Search Rinehart here and it should return in the results. Was posted in the last few months.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have Freedoms with Vance and Hines slip on and a DynoJet tune. Works great and sounds great.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Weekly bump.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SOLD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts